Gravel bike? Humbug, Scotland needs proper All Terrain bikes

jimo746":2d51jem0 said:
How often do the wheels need to come off though? If you get a flat, then the tyre will deflate itself and save you the trouble... :)

If I take it somewhere for a ride it has to be partially dismantled to fit in the car boot.

Luckily I don't have to worry about flats too much. I appear to have a large stock of 20" tubes... :)

Re:

As velo said, Maguras have quick release mounts that allow you to take out a wheel without deflating tyre.
I put Maguras on rear of an old Cannondale, it takes about same time to remove wheel with Maguras as it did with unhooking cable on V-brakes.

Re: Re:

old_coyote_pedaller":35cj5ba3 said:
As velo said, Maguras have quick release mounts that allow you to take out a wheel without deflating tyre.
I put Maguras on rear of an old Cannondale, it takes about same time to remove wheel with Maguras as it did with unhooking cable on V-brakes.

But.... if you want to make Maguras really work, then braces front & back are the way to go. But then you lose the ability to quick release...

Peachy!":1pd07h8x said:
old_coyote_pedaller":1pd07h8x said:

But.... if you want to make Maguras really work, then braces front & back are the way to go. But then you lose the ability to quick release...

I've got a single brace on the rear brake which doesn't affect the ability to quick release. I fitted it after being freaked out by how much the seat stays flexed :shock: .
The brake is just as powerful as a disc, that is until the rim gets wet then it's scary when you've been used to disc stopping power no matter the conditions.
I had built the bike up with a disc only Headshok Ultra fork that I'd totally dismantled and rebuilt with new cartridge, it was only intended to be used as a dry weather/summer bike which was confirmed after riding through a rather deep puddle. Completely forgot, being used to discs, how useless rim brakes can be when soaking wet.

Re:

Yes I'd probably use a Magura brake booster, although for "Gravel" riding I guess it may not strictly be necessary (I had un-braced Maguras on my Mtb in the 1990's, saved weight you see ;)).
But I find with the quick release and brace it can still be a bit awkward to get off over fat tyres...

So, having no experience of rod brakes (except the bikes I've seen in 3rd world countries :LOL:) how easy is it to get a wheel out?

jimo746":19z0cfto said:
So, having no experience of rod brakes (except the bikes I've seen in 3rd world countries :LOL:) how easy is it to get a wheel out?

Easier than it is to get them to stop.

jimo746":2vbh2hqw said:
...So, having no experience of rod brakes (except the bikes I've seen in 3rd world countries :LOL:) how easy is it to get a wheel out?
Depends on the rod guides. If they have holes, a PITA, if they are slotted, dead easy.

This hasn't been forgotten, been fat-arsing around trial fitting various bits.

Boxes and boxes of V-brakes and cantis and what did I do?

Decided the bike deserves brand new cantis. My cowardly riding style necessitates good brakes so I've ordered new Tektro CR720s (because they are the least faff to set up).

Stole the cranks of my wife's bike and fitted them. There was some grumbling within the hoose, so went a-looking in the sheds and attics.

Ah, Dura-Ace or the NOS Campag Record? Damn, can't fit, no suitable BBs.

Oh, a higher power was looking after me - keep it British where possible - Middleburn to the rescue, much better than that foreign rubbish. Now where's that last new ISIS BB lurking?

Talking of keeping it British, I have a nice Hope Ti front hub, but unfortunately it's a 32 hole. However it's given me an idea for a future wheelset for the bike.

Did Hope do a Ti rear version (non-disk)? It would be a neat improvement.

I've decided it will be a multi-ratio bike in deference to my frailty. It's gonna be a dinglespeed running 42/17 (65") and 39/20 (52"), so no need for one of those dangly things. That gives me a gear for the road, and one for the gravelly bits.

Tonight's job is dismantling a set of 29er wheels I built several years ago and never used. I'm nicking the XT hubs off them because they're 36 hole and they have the neat feature of center-lock, so without a disk, they look ok.

Re:

epicyclo":m45s0qlc said:
Boxes and boxes of V-brakes and cantis and what did I do?

Decided the bike deserves brand new cantis. My cowardly riding style necessitates good brakes so I've ordered new Tektro CR720s (because they are the least faff to set up).

Sounds sensible to me. They are decent and not too pricy. Should work well with drops and easy to set up as you say. Nice to have new parts, sometimes.

Still mucking around.

Tried the wheels out of my 1x1 with drum brakes. Like the look of it, but the rim width takes the tyre out too far and there's no rear clearance. The 1x1 no doubt breathes a sigh of relief because it's going to get its wheels back.

Looks like I'm stuck with using the 36 hole rims I've got.

I keep changing my mind about the hubs though. It really needs some high flange hubs for the 1960s/70s look I'm aiming for. Sturmey Archer make a set just right for this, but I'm grudging spending money at this stage. If it works as a concept, maybe then.

Got to get my finger out. I want to ride it on the Highland Classic Bike loop of Aultnabreac in a weeks time...

Back