Graeme Obree comeback

And also , importantly, how did the record attempt go. . ?
I assume it didn't happen. I couldn't find anything in the press. . :?:

ferrus":3r816epu said:
Worth trying again - can anyone identify the derailleur ????

Looks like it has been attacked with a Dremel to shave off weight, are those hollow chain pins to save a bit more?

No idea what it was though.

CTK":2bb95vk2 said:
Top man, my all time cycling hero.

All of a sudden I want to go to BikeRadar Live!

Boardman or Obree I know which name I'd rather have on my down tube! I wonder if he'd build me a bike...?

Here too. The best on the road. over came so much

From wikipedia:

New Hour record attempt
In May 2009 Obree announced that he would make an attempt at the "Athlete's Hour" record on a bike he had built himself during 2009. Obree said in October 2009 that the attempt had been cancelled as the bike he'd built himself was not suitable for the conditions. He will not be attempting this again.

Shame.....Not sure this is the last we'll here of him though

one-eyed_jim":16ekqap5 said:
ferrus":16ekqap5 said:
Worth trying again - can anyone identify the derailleur ????
I'd say it's a heavily-modified Shimano Ultegra 6500 or 105 5500:

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 611841.pdf

Probably the Ultegra, as it has a lighter, hollow main pivot bolt.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/f ... ycle-21811

Thank's for that one-eyed_jim, I needed to know! :D

Some interesting reading (and ogling) on the bikeradar link. It's sad to hear about his depression though.. being so independently minded and driven must be a lonely place to reside at times.

As for whether we'll hear from him again -well if anyone could surprise us...

Whether or not he does get the hour record again or not, I think that his achievements do need to be better publicised......I reckon most people think of him as a One Hit Wonder, and aren't aware that he's a double world champ and world record breaker.
It's just a pity his depressive cycle never coincided with the Olympics- he'd have taken a Gold, no doubt about it.

Ultimately, I'd love to see him get the hour again, as a final "Gerrit Feckin' Up Ye" to the suits :D

Back