C2c ride

Harrism

Retro Newbie
I am about to start planning a coast to coast ride for myself,family and work mates (some of whom have not ridden a bike for some time!) it will be around june/july time. I have never done one of these rides before and we are looking at doing it over two days!
I have found a c2c site and am checking it over for ideas.eg, where to stay, which course to take etc etc.
If any of you guys have done one of these rides before and can give some advice or tips it would be much appreciated,many thanks

http://www.c2c-guide.co.uk/

yep, I can give you some great advice.
1. you are to late for this year.
2. the shortest coast to coast is Wokington to Blackhall rocks at 120 miles the shortest CTC is 140) thats 60 miles a day or 70 miles a day on a fairly challanging route, if you have out of shape or as you put it "have not ridden a bike for some time" then 2 days is a big ask and 3 days is more attainable but still hard going for a non cycling person.
3. 3 days in a saddle when you aren't used to it is painful, I tap out at around 70 miles before I start to suffer with neck and shoulder pain and I'm a keen cyclist, imagine that for folks who aren't, it just won't be fun for them without some training before hand, why make it harder than it needs to be.
4. hottest time of the year, why? plan it for next May, give's everybody a chance to be fit and ready to ride.

TLDR, basically, you need to reconsider. :)

Rode the Workington to Sunderland route (mix of road and mainly non technical bridleways/old railway lines) on a hybrid over 3 days, carrying own kit. Reasonably tough going, even after training, so would not have enjoyed trying to complete in two days. Day 1 was mixed surface and a relatively gentle introduction. Day 2 was toughest with three big climbs, and some serious speed downhill (garmin gps stopped registering after 60kph). Day 3 was easiest with one big climb followed by long bridleway descent into Sunderland.

Back