Going tubeless recommendations

A seeger ring is a c clip? got a pic of the holes?

I think brocklander is right and you're over thinking this... get some 25mm Tesa tape, or Gorilla tape. do a full wrap that covers the valve hole twice. 100ml of stans fluid and you're done.

to make thing easier, inflate for the fiorst 24 hours with an innertube and no fluid - it helps the tyre take shape and seats the beads.

Re:

I've just read the badly written fulcrum doc that details the tubeless 'transformation' procedure. It seems they call their own rim tape (continuous circle) a seeger ring (yes it appears they don't know it is already a term for a c-clip, neither did I until now).

So a set of rim tape and latex should be all I need. I think i have some latex that I got with a road bike (I must use it one day, di2 languishing in the garage).

The holes in the rim are there, but we'll below the spoke bed, so I am assuming that the person who raised the issue didn't do something right or just popped a tubeless valve in and assumed the rim was sealed as to be honest, when you read the bumf, it does read like the wheels can run tubes or tubeless by design.

Ill get some tape ordered and give it a go. The internal bed is pretty concave looking at the pics in the guide, but as long as I get the tale flush, I should be fine.

Hopefully I'll get this nailed over the coming week once the tape arrives.

I’ve just taken out the stans fluid that’s was supplied in my giant anthem 2 from the dealer (giant themselves) as both tyres wouldn’t seal and kept losing air. Took them off, washed and dried them out and replaced with effeto Mariposa caffelatex sealant (beat regular stans fluid in the mtbr test) and they held air straight away.
Been using it for about 18 months now and it works really well. Only time it got beat was an 8-10mm cut in the tyre and then it held air with a bacon strip to finish the ride and I could patch the tyre.
Can’t say I was impressed by stans fluid to be honest.

Re:

I've gone for 25mm tesa tape, 66m roll should last a while.

Fluid wise I spent a long time looking at specs and reviews and cane across some green stuff that apparently doesn't dry out so going to give that a try. I'll report back once I've got it all set up and had a ride or two.

Good luck! Im looking forward to reading how it goes.

I just found out my wheels (Mavic Crossride FTS-X) arent UST. So I'm looking to do a tubeless conversion with a moulded rim strip rather than tape. Something like Joes, Stans or even Mavics own moulded UST strip. Weirdly to cross section of my rims looks very similar to most tubeless rims (hooked with shoulders for the tyre bead) but the guy from Mavic told me they are definitely not tubeless compatible...

Have a look and ENVE wheels set up tubeless , you may notice that even there fancy soooper expensive carbon jobbies have gorilla tape on them , it tends to stick better , is more flexible and is very strong, hence why it's used , oh and as heresy I've been running my back wheel with cheapo insulating tape for about 2 months now as a temp fix till I get new rims sorted to replace the crappy hope enduro chocolate ones .

Matthews":17yoyv3p said:
Have a look and ENVE wheels set up tubeless , you may notice that even there fancy soooper expensive carbon jobbies have gorilla tape on them , it tends to stick better , is more flexible and is very strong, hence why it's used , oh and as heresy I've been running my back wheel with cheapo insulating tape for about 2 months now as a temp fix till I get new rims sorted to replace the crappy hope enduro chocolate ones .

I’ve got Enve rims on one bike and yes it’s basically Duct tape. However the rim itself is different and actually can be sealed without tape. I did my set 3 years ago and have never touched since.

Back