Going tubeless recommendations

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I have tubeless wheels (fulcrum) and tyres (onza canis) and also have valves.

Not sure what my options are for rim straps. Fulcrum manual says I need their own of course which is pricey. What are my options here? If I don't need to use their own then how do I make sure I buy something that works with my rims? Assume internal diameter plays a part, just not sure how I make sure I get the right stuff.

While I'm at asking for advice, what's a good sealant?

I've bitten the bullet on a build and gone modern, 29er, 1x and dropper, tubeless is my last hurdle.

Thanks

Re:

I’ve tried several and ended up really liking muc off

It’s good for tyres with a thin sidewall too if that’s a issue

I use the 25mm Gorilla tape for my conversions. Used on my cube for 18 months until I gave it to my ladon Rims that weren't even tubeless ready and it worked fine. It's also on my Kona Dawg (running Mavic Crossrides) and that works fine also.

Re:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd prefer to do this right and non-ghetto style, the rest of the build hasn't had any corners cut.

I'd like to get a proper kit, but not sure what size rim straps to buy or what options I have. There appear to be plenty out there, but which ones are better than others and how best do I determine the strip diameter I need?

Measure the internal rim width and add a few mm, this is stans tape; Tesa 4289. 2 wraps of it pulled TIGHT.

Stans sealant is the go to answer when people ask, it's the only one i've used, and has worked perfectly for me.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Gorilla tape isn't ghetto! I think it was Specialized that came up with a kit (including rim tape) and one of their team mechanics did a how-to/promo video for it, in which he straight up said gorilla tape was better and was what they use on team bikes. That's good enough for me!

Re:

Nah, peels off and the residue can be removed with a bit of solvent or acetone like most adhesives.

Re:

I'd just need the rim tape and latex, I have everything else. Looking online there are lots of options and prices. Where would the best place to get gorilla tape and latex?

Re:

Get 'Tubeless Ready' tyres rather than 'Tubeless Compatible' .. I've had both and the 'TC' tyres can be problematic regarding keeping a permanent seal.

Back