Going sober for October

REKIBorter":14gn4kg9 said:
Anyone else thinking of doing this? I started on Friday, hoping to loose a bit of puppy fat as I have kept my rugby players physique. Getting out on the bike twice a week is going to help and making healthy choices at meal times.

Just make sure you give up fruit juice as well! (Seriously: fruit juice is now known to seriously mess up weight regulation - the highly available sugars have a weird metabolic pathway through the liver and drinking too much sugary stuff can give you liver scarring - just like booze, but with less fun.)

Re:

Cheers PF, ;)

feel like I'm hijacking thread here :oops:

I keep my legs raised and pivot from my shoulder blades, so there's no movement from my spine, hopefully.
As for pigs, I go past a pig farm, right next to them on a regular basis on the trails.
Just seem to wallow in mud when I see them . Guess I will be too when this weather changes.
Not sure I could afford his prices if he is a consultant. Maybe I could offer him an old bike as payment! :LOL: :LOL:
Thanks anyway though ;)

Mike

PurpleFrog":2e6f1oy7 said:
REKIBorter":2e6f1oy7 said:
Anyone else thinking of doing this? I started on Friday, hoping to loose a bit of puppy fat as I have kept my rugby players physique. Getting out on the bike twice a week is going to help and making healthy choices at meal times.

Just make sure you give up fruit juice as well! (Seriously: fruit juice is now known to seriously mess up weight regulation - the highly available sugars have a weird metabolic pathway through the liver and drinking too much sugary stuff can give you liver scarring - just like booze, but with less fun.)

Best to eat the whole fruit , not just drink processed juice, like apple, in CIDER form ! :LOL: :LOL:

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":2l05ctl8 said:
Cheers PF, ;)

feel like I'm hijacking thread here :oops:

I keep my legs raised and pivot from my shoulder blades, so there's no movement from my spine, hopefully.
As for pigs, I go past a pig farm, right next to them on a regular basis on the trails.
Just seem to wallow in mud when I see them . Guess I will be too when this weather changes.
Not sure I could afford his prices if he is a consultant. Maybe I could offer him an old bike as payment! :LOL: :LOL:
Thanks anyway though ;)

Mike

I think the guy only consults for people with private jets. But there's a lot of info on his site and he's written a book.

Mike Muz 67":2t8pdpj4 said:
Single speed bikes and off-road mtb riding are completely contradictory in my world. Just my opinion, no offence meant mate :winkl:

Mike

None taken, but I'm not the one with the dodgy back... ;)

suburbanreuben":2p5d44uq said:
Mike Muz 67":2p5d44uq said:
Single speed bikes and off-road mtb riding are completely contradictory in my world. Just my opinion, no offence meant mate :winkl:

Mike

None taken, but I'm not the one with the dodgy back... ;)

Very true ! :oops: :oops: :facepalm:

Re:

A lot of people have said unicycles are good for your back. Although you do look a bit of a knob.

chris667":2y1elezj said:
A lot of people have said unicycles are good for your back. Although you do look a bit of a knob.
I think the thing about the back, being the issues can be complex or rather different from pain in other areas.

But there's the other factor, too - people think nothing of certain exercises or calisthenics for some muscle groups, but it's far from common that people who do a certain degree of informal exercise consider working all the areas involved, which also has a bearing. I see people who get some lower back pain, who do so, largely because whilst they may do some activity or exercise for what they perceive as visual impact, but don't consider the support of the upper body, in a comprehensive manner.

In much the same way as people tend towards some degree of shoulder injury as they age. That's partly because of lack of understanding of the joint, partly because of things done that have some degree of risk, and partly becuase some people are active and get some form of exercise, but imbalances from doing certain selective things, can have impact in there being a disparity in capability or resilience in the shoulder area.

Neil":xjtvi3ro said:
chris667":xjtvi3ro said:
I think the thing about the back, being the issues can be complex or rather different from pain in other areas.

But there's the other factor, too - people think nothing of certain exercises or calisthenics for some muscle groups, but it's far from common that people who do a certain degree of informal exercise consider working all the areas involved, which also has a bearing. I see people who get some lower back pain, who do so, largely because whilst they may do some activity or exercise for what they perceive as visual impact, but don't consider the support of the upper body, in a comprehensive manner.

In much the same way as people tend towards some degree of shoulder injury as they age. That's partly because of lack of understanding of the joint, partly because of things done that have some degree of risk, and partly becuase some people are active and get some form of exercise, but imbalances from doing certain selective things, can have impact in there being a disparity in capability or resilience in the shoulder area.

It's actually worse than that for backs. The body only has so many spinal flexions and if you use them up doing high rep "ab" exercises the vertebrae and the cushioning discs between them will age prematurely and herniate. At the same time you won't have strengthened the core muscles that take the load off the back - bad combination:

http://www.macleans.ca/society/health/t ... -crunches/

The sort of exercise the back wants you do to do is a kettlebell swing - the spine stays static and you use the core muscles to lock your torso in position against the torque.

PurpleFrog":2kivzhnp said:
Neil":2kivzhnp said:
chris667":2kivzhnp said:

It's actually worse than that for backs. The body only has so many spinal flexions and if you use them up doing high rep "ab" exercises the vertebrae and the cushioning discs between them will age prematurely and herniate. At the same time you won't have strengthened the core muscles that take the load off the back - bad combination:

http://www.macleans.ca/society/health/t ... -crunches/

The sort of exercise the back wants you do to do is a kettlebell swing - the spine stays static and you use the core muscles to lock your torso in position against the torque.
I think as a general principle, it's best to strive for conditioning of all aspects of the body, rather than the superficial or normal ones people tend to consider.

As somebody who lifts weights, I've never been overly concerned with doing that much directly for abs, since things like squats and deadlifts require static / stablising contraction.

I think the problem with the lower back area, though, being that it's often ignored whilst other areas aren't. Shoulders and knee areas can also suffer because of this.

I think if you're going to train your body, it makes sense to train all the areas, otherwise it's easy - especially with the lower back,to end up with a weak link, and lower back pain because of it. I don't get the notion - beyond tradition / ignorance - of those that would just do some situps, some pressups, but do precious little else for the rest of the body - it's all just out-of-sight, out-of-mind.

I suspect for many people (but not all - as not all back problems are due to lack of conditioning in the lower back region), a bit of lower-back conditioning would ease, perhaps eradicate much of their lower-back maladies.

I know, personally, since getting into middle age, ensuring that I work my lower back, too, has helped me notably in those frequent, and perhaps non-severe, lower-back aches and pains that tend to hit people as they age.

Back