Giving up smoking

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
And im not talking about tobacco :shock:

After nearly a 1/4 century and as a promise to my Father(D 25/5/2011) I gave up smoking the evil weed that is marijuana.
Crazy posting this in a forum that must be filled with some amount of superfit cycling nutters but im aware that there is a small number of 'puffers' so i suppose im mainly addressing them :?
Reasons for starting are long forgotten,probably peer pressure or a coping mechanism but immaterial really.

Im on day 5 of my fast and although the common understanding is that grass/hashish doesnt have withdrawal symptoms i can assure you this is very much not the case.
About the same time i decided it was time i seemingly 'caught' a flu bug but after reading some of the detox sites that appears to be masking the real symptoms of withdrawal
These symptoms are
Insomnia- Since Wednesday ive averaged 3 maybe 4 hours a night,this is accompanied by night sweats to the point of changing t-shirt etc(im going through 3 sets a day minimum]

Loss of appetite- Since Wednesday ive had 1 bowl of soup,1/2 a ciabatta and as of last night a 6" subway steak and cheese with surprisingly for me VEG added :shock:
If rados reading this YES ITS TRUE [after finding out ive never eaten veg he asked 'why are you still alive andy?' :LOL:
According to the detox site ,loss of appetite is normal but only lasts a few days,though mine is still at a low im going out to feed as its easier than cooking and if i cook im finding that the smells are making me a bit nauseous and by the time its ready my appetite has disappeared completely.

Fever- According to my medical thermometer my internal temp is about 36.7c but i can assure you all that it doesnt feel like normal and the excessive sweating and heat in the pits/groin/feet and palms apparently is being caused by my body attempting to cleanse itself[Big job :LOL:]

Vivid nightmares-I wont go into these in detail other to say theyre highly emotionally charged and even waking up doesnt stop them going on.If i go back to bed the same dream comes back.[but not that one with Ratchel Riley :cry:

Anger-At the moment im jumping between the extremes of melancholia and rage.Rage at the world,at injustice,at myself for being so stupid in starting in the first place then feeling down about my health and lack of fitness and the people im letting down both at home and here on the forum,in that when riding with macretro im more of a hindrance to them and i expect they regret bringing me and in personal life.
* have to say this is greatly reduced now.

Other symptoms so far experienced include a severe headache,localized to the top of my head where i had the accident,thus leading to thoughts of that being more sinister than it probably is
Loss of appetite,nausea though very slight with no vomiting..

Righto puffers.I urge you to think about stopping.Sure its obvious now there are physical symptoms but nasty as they are its better to be off it than on.
Its only today that i googled the subject.Like reading a revelation and gives me hope
Hope that it isnt sinister and related to something horrible or terminal but just my mind attempting to make me give in
This site explains the symptoms
http://www.marijuana-anonymous.org/detox.shtml

I must say im a bit worried that this could last more than a month but i feel its worth it.I've been attempting to give up tobacco as that is probably the main reason for lack of fitness but due to grass i always got pulled back in.I tried everything from hypnosis to the extreme drugs available on prescription,changing my grass habit from bong to pipe to vaporiser but id always be tempted by a joint.
One step at a time :?

Thank you and good night :D

Good post, being on it for so long i dont doubt your feeling it now!
It can be addictive to many many people.

Most things are ok in moderation that isnt every day i guess.

You will have more monies soon too!

BUt why straight cold turkey?

I think when it come to giving this kind of thing cold turkey is the only way.
Why drag it out?
Good luck and stick with it.

NAILTRAIL96":3iiqdc45 said:
I think when it come to giving this kind of thing cold turkey is the only way.
Why drag it out?
Good luck and stick with it.

I thought that, and then also your still tempted and arent really out until your out.

As a Toker myself I support you in your bid to stop smoking, doubt I will ever quit taking it in one way or another. I can go without if need be, I have smoked it 20+ years and have had periods of time where I haven't. I dont drink so having a joint is one of the few pleasures I do treat myself to. As for the coment about save yourself going mental in the future thats balls. Yes it can trigger mental health issues but so can many things, it can cause underlying mental health conditions to surface but compared to alcohol it pales into insignificance. Im not saying its all wonderfull and never causes problems it can but so can watching a film. My smoking is partly medical aswell due to having crohns we gives you a reduced appitite it helps with that.

Good luck in quitting if thats what YOU want. But please dont become like so many others who quit things then bang on about how evil weed/drink/fags are. Most things are ok aslong as you keep it in moderation.

Paddy

It's not balls, it's clinically proven fact. Even relatively minor or low level usage can cause/trigger/unearth/call it what you will mental health problems.

In the UK about half the profits support organised crime, and roughly half finds its way back to the 'stans where the money is being used to fund the killing of our troops.

Sure, alcohol has its downside, but alcohol is legal, and the thread isn't about alcohol anyway.

I'm a copper, but I'm also a realist. If someone wants to do it in their own home the that's up yo them. But to divert attention by decrying other substances, or to ignore the significant weight of clinical evidence is simply foolish.

If our hero wants to do it in the privacy of his own home then it's no skin off my nose, despite my job. If he wants to quit for whatever reason then I applaud him and offer my moral support.

I used to work in a mental health hospital and if you had actually read what I said I agreed with you yes it can be a trigger with people that have underlying mental health problems. But many things can trigger mental health problems, a knock to the head, a bad night on drink the loss of a loved oned. As for the profit thing whilst there are lots of evidence pointing to organised crime being involve the cannabis scene has taken a radical change recently. Thereis no longer the mass smuggling of resin types of cannabis in the volume it was. It is mainly bud/weed/bush call it what you will being smoked now. Most of that is grown in the uk and tends to stay around the local area. Homegrown is best as you tend to know who grew it and where its come from. Kev from down the road is hardly pablo escobar is he. The police's view on it seems to change day to day aswell. One day its get caught with a smoke a slap on the wrist and on your way, the next its hanging's to good for them.

Yes I am toker and not ashamed to admit it.

Chopper1192":3me0356x said:
In the UK about half the profits support organised crime, and roughly half finds its way back to the 'stans where the money is being used to fund the killing of our troops.

Think you will find the Afgani's weed is shit and they are more interested in growing poppies for opium insted where the profits are much higher. After all they will want to make more money for guns wouldnt they?

Back