Giant Cadex cfm3 restoration advice

HullBorn

Retro Guru
Hi,

Apologies for asking for advice on my 1st post, but here goes.

I've recently purchased this Giant Cadex CFM3 as a project. When complete, It's going to my 12 year old son.

I'm going to update the brakes, shifters, crankset and v-brakes. I think the rest is okay. I'm undecided if I should replace the components with period or new(ish).

The rockshox seem to work fine so I'm just going to strip and repaint them. Not sure if there's anything I can do to make the carbon look better.

Any tips/advice would be most welcomed.

Cheers

Wayne.

brakes.jpg

crankset.jpg

forks.jpg

frame.jpg

frame02.jpg

front-hub.jpg

front-mech.jpg

front-view.jpg

head-tube.jpg

rear-hub.jpg

rear-mech.jpg

rims.jpg

stem.jpg

v-brakes.jpg

v-brakes01.jpg

Re:

I remember that on ebay, was thinking of bidding but didn't in the end. (Or maybegumtree)
Anyway, check that front hub for crack running from the inner ALU part towards the spokes, they maybe hairline style.

Polish up the frame (maybe some laquer would protect or tidy it up), tidy up the lower fork legs and get rid if the bubbling bits.

Check bearing etc and tyres for damage.

Have fun and get the kid helping out.

It was from Ebay, only £38 so was worth a punt.

That's the plan to get him helping out. I'll check hub and bearings etc.

Would you replace the components or leave what's on?

Please take a Very close look at that frame,,They came apart,there were recalls,,,now it is old.
Sorry,I would not let anyone ride it personally.

mrdryskull":30q9ch4b said:
Please take a Very close look at that frame,,They came apart,there were recalls,,,now it is old.
Sorry,I would not let anyone ride it personally.
That's alarming. I've had a quick look over the frame and it seems solid enough. Not sure of it's age must be 20 years old though.

Re:

These are great bikes, kevlar/carbon tubes. I would install a rigid carbon fork. keep the XT components if in decent shape. Lightly sand tubes and respray clear. I also would keep an eye on the frame for separtion but it should be ok. If there is separation it can be re-glued with a quality industrial adhesive.

I think these are great frames, regret selling mine. Check out the link in my sig for how I built up mine, it rode really well. Didn't have any issues with bonding, I've not come across any horror stories personally and if it's lasted this long, it's probably fine, though always prudent to check it from time to time, same with anything old.

Good luck with it, a bargain for £38. I'd ditch the forks if it were me and get something that works, or go rigid. The original forks for these frames are actually very nice looking.

Back