Giant ATX 900/990

andyfloyd82":e1735e3o said:
latman":e1735e3o said:
I bought this 990 new in Hawaii in oct 1997 ,the damping is all gone from the Noleen rear shock now

Loving that, looks great.

Since we are all discussing the ATX, does anyone know the Stroke and length of the rear shock? I want to put an air shock on mine. I want to say its 6.75 x 1.5.

mine is 7inch eye-eye but stroke looks less than 1 inch according to the dirty shaft

latman":1hnpuwo3 said:
andyfloyd82":1hnpuwo3 said:
latman":1hnpuwo3 said:
I bought this 990 new in Hawaii in oct 1997 ,the damping is all gone from the Noleen rear shock now

Loving that, looks great.

Since we are all discussing the ATX, does anyone know the Stroke and length of the rear shock? I want to put an air shock on mine. I want to say its 6.75 x 1.5.

mine is 7inch eye-eye but stroke looks less than 1 inch according to the dirty shaft

I think mine is 185mm length with what looks like 1.5 inch stroke....I'm interested too to here what everyone else is running.

Had a great Boxing Day ride today on the ATX :) The eagle eye'd will notice a new seat post (much lighter and better quality) and a matching rear wheel with the front :). The wheels combined are a full lb heavier but are totally bomb proof. I had a couple of run's on the local downhill track. She handles well....being back on the V's takes some getting used to. The bombers were awesome. Honestly if they were a little lighter they would hold up with most modern forks!! All in all very happy, the build is coming along nicely.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 1,176
There is a reason Giant never released the ATX990 with its own 'long travel' plates.....they ruin the ride of the bike! Sure I thought it was good at first but as soon as I put the short travel plates on the bike was a million times better!! Apart from ultra rocky downhill sections the bike does everything better...defo not switching back!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 1,126
It originally had a single crown fork and XT cantilever brakes but i switched them both out , I considered making up some " long travel" plates myself but never got around to it but it sounded like a good idea at the time

Attachments

• giant atx 990.jpg
    giant atx 990.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,113
ChrisBrown81":2vaz6zlk said:
There is a reason Giant never released the ATX990 with its own 'long travel' plates.....they ruin the ride of the bike! Sure I thought it was good at first but as soon as I put the short travel plates on the bike was a million times better!! Apart from ultra rocky downhill sections the bike does everything better...defo not switching back!!

Interesting, I guess Giant knew what they were doing limiting the travel at the rear. What exactly improved with the original travel plates? Im curious as I have finally started to build mine up.

andyfloyd82":2bye36pu said:
ChrisBrown81":2bye36pu said:

Interesting, I guess Giant knew what they were doing limiting the travel at the rear. What exactly improved with the original travel plates? Im curious as I have finally started to build mine up.

Apart from the obvious, climbing, I was more impressed by the way it corners and just how much more responsive the back end was. I think the curve of the swing arm made the back end feel a better quality of suspension. I know that sounds daft and doesn't really make sense but it was like going from a walmart bike with lots of travel to a top end bike with less travel but a much better feel! Hope that comes across right! Haha. These are my own views and from what I've read from others I may be in the minority lol

Hi all. I know this is a real old thread but hoping someone knows anything about what size the forks and rear shocks are. Mine are pretty old and wrecked now so wanting some advice.

Back