Giant ATX 900/990

Re: Giant ATX 900/990- new project!!!

Frame looks really clean!! Do you think you'll stick with the XL forks? I really want a single crown fork on this. I'll leave the downhill duties to my Lobo haha

ChrisBrown81":3lxupj9h said:
Frame looks really clean!! Do you think you'll stick with the XL forks? I really want a single crown fork on this. I'll leave the downhill duties to my Lobo haha

haha, no i took those XL's off. The stanchions were all ruined from noone apparently ever cleaning them. The damper was totally shot as well. So I took out the springs and popped them into some Judy XC's and now I have one working Judy XC with the red springs from the XL.

Absolutely love the look of these..brings back good memories.

Signing up for updates, get it done!!

So I've finally collected the ATX and as with most retro-bikes there's good bits and bad bits... I'll start with the good bits!! :) The bike itself looks like it hasn't been off road for years, just road use (it was collected from London!) The original travel plates came with the bike so panic over looking for them, as did a number of different springs, a healthy pot of Judy butter and a few spacers and bolts :) The RST shock has 'shocked' me haha. I was expecting a piece of crap with hardly any damping etc but how wrong I was! It's defo a keeper and in great condition, another sign of not much off road action. I was surprised at how the Goldtec plates don't feel like they give much extra travel. Obvs they do but not as much as I was expecting...the main draw back is the effect they have on the head angle.. It sprints like an animal though! I can't believe it has 5" of travel with how well it shifts. Very impressed. After sprinting up and down the street I weighed it...30.3lbs. Very happy with that as I think I can shed at least another pound.The not so good stuff...with how well the back end is the front end is a huge let down. Even after a quick strip of the forks to check the elastomer stack and re-grease they were still pants. I don't even think it's because of them being abused I just think they are a bad fork. Defo going... The seat is dead. Bent ripped and ready for the bin. V-brakes...I am so used to discs that the on-off feel of V's is a bit rubbish. Magura's I think are needed. The full DX V set are in good nick though so might find a buyer. I'm going to change to single chainring at the front 34 or 36. Not ridden with three for that long I no longer see the need. I swapped the 5" long kore stem for one out of the garage for now. The x-lite bars with brace has also gone in place of one of my spares. The biggest disappointment was the front wheel. It was a Sun big fat mammoth rim in great condition on an alivio hub. When I got home I found the axle was snapped and the bearings pretty dead. As it was bought on eBay I could try and get some money back but I'm not sure if the seller even knew or more importantly...can I be arsed? I have a spare set of Alex dirt jumping wheels so I used the front off of that for now. Heavy as hell but strong as you like.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 549
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 548
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 549
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 549

Good stuff.

Those old Mozo Pro's were pretty pans when they were new, let alone these days! People only ran them because they were cheap and had more travel than the Judy's of that age. The old 4.5's flexed like nothing else.

ChrisBrown81":ewwg845q said:
So I've finally collected the ATX and as with most retro-bikes there's good bits and bad bits... I'll start with the good bits!! :) The bike itself looks like it hasn't been off road for years, just road use (it was collected from London!) The original travel plates came with the bike so panic over looking for them, as did a number of different springs, a healthy pot of Judy butter and a few spacers and bolts :) The RST shock has 'shocked' me haha. I was expecting a piece of crap with hardly any damping etc but how wrong I was! It's defo a keeper and in great condition, another sign of not much off road action. I was surprised at how the Goldtec plates don't feel like they give much extra travel. Obvs they do but not as much as I was expecting...the main draw back is the effect they have on the head angle.. It sprints like an animal though! I can't believe it has 5" of travel with how well it shifts. Very impressed. After sprinting up and down the street I weighed it...30.3lbs. Very happy with that as I think I can shed at least another pound.The not so good stuff...with how well the back end is the front end is a huge let down. Even after a quick strip of the forks to check the elastomer stack and re-grease they were still pants. I don't even think it's because of them being abused I just think they are a bad fork. Defo going... The seat is dead. Bent ripped and ready for the bin. V-brakes...I am so used to discs that the on-off feel of V's is a bit rubbish. Magura's I think are needed. The full DX V set are in good nick though so might find a buyer. I'm going to change to single chainring at the front 34 or 36. Not ridden with three for that long I no longer see the need. I swapped the 5" long kore stem for one out of the garage for now. The x-lite bars with brace has also gone in place of one of my spares. The biggest disappointment was the front wheel. It was a Sun big fat mammoth rim in great condition on an alivio hub. When I got home I found the axle was snapped and the bearings pretty dead. As it was bought on eBay I could try and get some money back but I'm not sure if the seller even knew or more importantly...can I be arsed? I have a spare set of Alex dirt jumping wheels so I used the front off of that for now. Heavy as hell but strong as you like.

Im actually suprised that the rear RST shock is working so well for you. You do have a 990 and I have a 970 so your RST is much nicer than mine. Mine basically is about as good as the dampers that come in walmart type bikes. Im guessing that the Goldtec plates make the front end geometry more aggressive? Or does it slack it out? I havent really ridden mine yet so Im not really sure how this bike is going to handle. I need to get mine done so I can report back. If you ever want to get rid of those long travel Plates give me a shout.

andyfloyd82":3op4tn24 said:
ChrisBrown81":3op4tn24 said:

Im actually suprised that the rear RST shock is working so well for you. You do have a 990 and I have a 970 so your RST is much nicer than mine. Mine basically is about as good as the dampers that come in walmart type bikes. Im guessing that the Goldtec plates make the front end geometry more aggressive? Or does it slack it out? I havent really ridden mine yet so Im not really sure how this bike is going to handle. I need to get mine done so I can report back. If you ever want to get rid of those long travel Plates give me a shout.

There is a lot more sag with the long travel plates, I actually think I need a stiffer spring with them on compared to the OE ones. It does make the head angle slightly more aggressive but nothing major still very rideable.. I'm in two minds which plates I prefer tbh!! Still loving that RST rear shock which is the biggest surprise ever haha....it just looks a bit cheap.

I've finally found some original 1997 Marzocchi Bomber Z1's thanks to Dave_H on here. He's dropping them off tomorrow and I can't wait to get them fitted :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 488

ChrisBrown81":pd12m5ea said:
I've finally found some original 1997 Marzocchi Bomber Z1's thanks to Dave_H on here. He's dropping them off tomorrow and I can't wait to get them fitted :)

Im glad that RST rear is working out for you. Those Bombers will be really nice hanging off the front end of that bike. I have Z2's on my 95 FSR and they are plush for old forks. I actually need to air mine up a little bit because its a bit too plush at the moment. Those old bombers are also very stiff and track really well. On my ATX its going to have some old SID's that are coming off another one of my bikes. Im thinking I can get my ATX around 26lbs because most everything thats going on the bike is pretty lightweight, along with a tubeless wheelset.

I think you could easily achieve that weight with the right components. The frame is quite light for f/s. As you might have guessed I'm going for a bit of a light downhill/free ride bike. I want something that I can blast down the hill then ride back up!! Haha. Hopefully next week I'll get out on it. I'll try and get some pictures up :)

Back