Giant ATX 900/990

Re: Giant ATX 900/990- new project!!!

ChrisBrown81":3jc6cvlm said:
I think you could easily achieve that weight with the right components. The frame is quite light for f/s. As you might have guessed I'm going for a bit of a light downhill/free ride bike. I want something that I can blast down the hill then ride back up!! Haha. Hopefully next week I'll get out on it. I'll try and get some pictures up :)

Yea I kinda figured with the longer travel plates and the stout Z1 that you were going for more of an all mountain kind of feel. I have read a lot of old reviews on the ATX 970/980/990 on MTBR and people LOVED these bikes. They are pretty stout really from what I gather and people said they can handle some all mountain/downhill with the right components on the frame. I think the weak link is probably the rear triangle I read of a couple failures but thats probably due to people abusing the bike and not using it for what it was intended trying to dirt jump on them or something.

Mine im going more for an XC type rig. With lightweight SID up front, the 3" travel plates, and a lightweight Bontrager wheelset. There isnt a lot of downhill type stuff around here mostly rooty type stuff.

Funny you should say that about the chain stays....I'm just about to bid on a spare one on eBay....just in case ;-) I won't be dirt jumping but with the nature of downhill there will be some jumps! Haha

Those bombers will look peachy on the front. They were kind of the done thing with these frames back in the day (or at least they were for the people I knew who had them).

Gave the bombers a service. Tbh honest they were in really good nick I only needed to add 5mm more oil each leg. They felt like sludge at first then I realised the rebound screws were wound all way in. A quick fettle and they were perfect. Combined with the re-grease of all the back end I did a couple of days ago, the ATX is feeling really plush....the back end may be a bit too plush so I'm thinking of getting a heavier weight spring (currently 400) maybe 500-550. Next thing on the list is stem, seat and brakes. Hope C2 front, Magura rim brake rear. Watch this space.... ;-)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 552

Looking good buddy. I love how easy it is to service old Bombers.

ChrisBrown81":2jpzavqt said:
Gave the bombers a service. Tbh honest they were in really good nick I only needed to add 5mm more oil each leg. They felt like sludge at first then I realised the rebound screws were wound all way in. A quick fettle and they were perfect. Combined with the re-grease of all the back end I did a couple of days ago, the ATX is feeling really plush....the back end may be a bit too plush so I'm thinking of getting a heavier weight spring (currently 400) maybe 500-550. Next thing on the list is stem, seat and brakes. Hope C2 front, Magura rim brake rear. Watch this space.... ;-)

Awesome man! You have breathed new life into that little bike. I really want to get mine done now...you are making me jealous. I really need a better rear shock on mine. My spring rate is like 650lb and im only 155lbs soaking wet. My ATX is going to be the bike that I toss around the trails without worry of hurting a pretty paint job or whatever. I have some nice MTB's that I meticulously maintain and Im kinda anal about scratches etc. You could just adjust the preload on the spring for a stiffer rear, just wind the retainer inward.

andyfloyd82":1wh6l6mr said:
ChrisBrown81":1wh6l6mr said:

Awesome man! You have breathed new life into that little bike. I really want to get mine done now...you are making me jealous. I really need a better rear shock on mine. My spring rate is like 650lb and im only 155lbs soaking wet. My ATX is going to be the bike that I toss around the trails without worry of hurting a pretty paint job or whatever. I have some nice MTB's that I meticulously maintain and Im kinda anal about scratches etc. You could just adjust the preload on the spring for a stiffer rear, just wind the retainer inward.

I know what you mean about a throw about bike. This is going to be the same for me!! I can't wait to get out on it :) I did wind the spring in a bit and it did stiffen up a bit...but I just didn't like the way it looked haha. It made it look too small for the shock. Springs this small are real cheap anyway so I'll try a heavier weight see how we go.

This is Rob Warner's actual bike that he won the 1996 Kaprun World Cup round on. I'm using it as inspiration for my build..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 536

It's amazing when you compare that to a modern day DH bike. That BB is so high!

Back