Getting the 'hump with my camelbak

Re:

Dunno how you can taste the plastic in a camelbak, but not in a bottle.

I can, it's not as bad, but after the water has been in the bottle for a couple of hours, it starts to taste a bit "plasticky", if I leave it long enough, especially in warm weather, it becomes undrinkable.

And who mentioned cucumber? I can't stand the stuff, it tastes vile; it used to make me gag as a kid. I can't eat most pre-packed sandwiches, because even if you pick the cucumber out, it still taints everything. Melons and marrows, which are closely related, have the same unpleasant flavour and taste equally disgusting to me.

Anyway, last night, I dug my hydration pack out of the cupboard, it's not a Camelpack, but a Hydrapack; similar thing. I rinsed it through, then filled it. Initially it's bearable, but after the water has been in it for an hour or so, it's pretty much undrinkable with a strong plastic flavour. One thing I noticed though is that the water in the bladder itself isn't so bad, so it may be that its the drinking tube itself which taints the water.

I'm going to try some alternative tubing, maybe some nylon or PTFE tubing, instead of the PVC type tube supplied with the bladder.

One thing that does occur to me; if I can taste plastic, how bad is the water for me to drink, I can't imagine there are many chemicals in plastic that are actually meant to be ingested, and if you can taste it, surely it's there. :?

Re:

Just did a little experiment. I removed the tube from the pack, filled it with water and left it for 30 minutes. Tasted the water and it has a revolting plastic, chemical flavour; so it's almost certainly the tube that's the main problem.

I've just ordered 1 metre of this, 8mm ID x 12mm OD: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261112388696? ... EBIDX%3AIT

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: Re:

xerxes":3m7vopyd said:
I tried several back pack water bladders and several attempts to get rid of the taste of plastic; nothing worked for me, so I've gone back to using water bottles.

Couldn't have said it better myself.... :D

Re:

Going to try the same thing Xerxes, see if it makes a difference with/without the tube.

Just to recap, the cameltoe is new, onlya month or so old amd been used twice, with only fresh filtered water.
It has been washed out a number of times and hung to dry as per the destructions.

Oddly, cucumber is ok if it really cold :)

Re:

I find with mine that the colder the water ; the better it tastes so plenty of ice cubes assuming it's not mid-December or anything. Also agree that the "tube-water" warms up way to fast ; my tip is to .. ahem ; "blow" that little bit back into the reservoir I find that helps a lot. Or you can buy insulated covers for the tube itself ; example : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Insulated-Neo ... 462e62a5b6 although I'm not sure that black is a great idea to keep something cold in the sun ... ;)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
That's an affirmative on melons being yucky too. Weirdly enough courgettes don't bother me.

Apparently we are in the 10% who can taste cucumber properly. Vile vegetable.

Re:

Will set up the experiment on Thursday after work, I will be sure to wear goggles. Safety first! :-D

Back