Tips for getting tyre on the rim?

danbe

Retro Guru
So I managed to finally do it and used a hairdryer though not sure it made it any easier.
I literally snapped a tyre lever in the process and my thumbs are hurting after spending the longest time trying to get a tyre onto the rim.
I've never encountered this before but it was like the tyre was way, way too small for the rim.
(Panaracer FireXCpro on Crankbrothers Cobalt XC wheels) I checked multiple times to make sure the tyres was in fact the same size as the wheel.

Was wondering if anyone had any tips as I never want to encounter such an issue again or anyone to go through this painful torture.

I was thinking perhaps dipping the tyre in hot water?

I use 4 tyre levers. One of which is extra long metal version. I blame it on the 'fad' of tubeless rims.

if it's an old rim the profile should have a deeper section in the centre. make sure the rest of the bead (both sides) is in the deeper bit. it's what it's there for.

newer rims seem to have done away with it though.

yes washing up liquid but use it neat
put a bit on the side and makes it easier. not often it happens but some tyres really are a nuisance to fit

+1 for the Spa Cycles video method with straps or zip ties to keep the tyre down in the centre of the rim, and keep working it down to 'stretch' it towards the bead that needs to come over the rim.

A revelation for me. Yes I know it's about truck tyres, but it's worth reading. Since I've never had issues with any tyre and rim combination.

Washing up liquid rots AL rims because of salt content. Working dry is making it hard for yourself.

Attachments

• lubricant-mx-truck-tires.pdf
    112.7 KB · Views: 9
Back