Getting a bike for christmas as a kid

Must have been around 88 or so, I'd have been ten and wanted a new fangled BMX like my pals.

I got this nasty piece of shit.
IMG_1224.jpg

My mother's thinking being that as it weighed around a metric tonne it wouldn't be suitable for tricks therefore I wouldn't be killed jumping 4 inches off the kerb.

Looking at it for the first time in many years I see it had no redeeming features whatsoever. The mudguards were shameful, the grips hateful, the spoke protector hiding the big hub with the shitty 3spd gears, the blue of everything. It was a disappointing Xmas for sure.

First chance I got I bought a chrome Burner with the curved stays off a guy down the road. And she never bought me a bike again. Thank ****.

Is that a Grifter? My memory is hazy but it does not look like the ones i remember.

Happy NEw Year

Richard

TGR":1hwedket said:
Is that a Grifter? My memory is hazy but it does not look like the ones i remember.

Happy NEw Year

Richard

The only difference from the ones I remember is the colour and it doesn't have the monstrous bizarre saddle.

A lad at school got one of these for his christmas one year. There was also rumoured to be a 5 speed one near where I lived but I never saw it with my own eyes.

sprintgreen.jpg

TGR":vfae7d5g said:

Happy NEw Year

Richard
Me neither - I think that must be an early mk1 model. Although they stopped making grifters in - so it must have been well owned by 88.....

I don't know what year or version it was. It was brand new and I was born in 78 so 88 was a guess. Someone I knew had a red/black one but I thought it was older than mine.

Not that I care now.

From my poor memory Grifters were around in 1980 - or maybe before. I never had one, but i had my second hand Chopper at the time.

Happy New Year Techno,

Richard

Back