Getting a bike for christmas as a kid

I had a Raleigh Boxer for my 6th birthday(1979 :shock: you do the maths :D ) i loved that bike.
For christmas when i was about 10 i really, really wanted a BMX, but i ended up with a tiny racer instead :( .
Fortunately both my nans gave me cash that year, plus my mate had got a DP Firebird so his Night burner was spare. A deal was struck and shortly afterwards my racer was sold back to the shop :D
I don't think my parents have completely forgiven me to this day :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

My son rides rides whatever he wants from my fleet.
My daughters birthday is in april so she usually gets a bike then as the weather is nicer for cycling :D

How things have changed...

My daughter is 7 and she has had more bikes in her 7 years than i have had in my 45 (excepting the frames i have bought/acquired this year).

When i was around 7 years old i had a tricycle with pneumatic tyres - it was a flying machine. I guess the wheels were 20'' with slim tyres. I was flying down a hill outside our old house and the frame broke in the middle (the top tube but it was low down). I held onto the handlebars as they drifted away in front of me and my rear remained in the seat as it drifted away behind me. The result was a face to tarmac experience which i not like to repeat. Funny when you are that age you bounce!! Nowadays, I would just lie in the road until an ambulance arrived.

Hope everyone had a good Christmas,

Richard

Grannygrinder":1ov7df6m said:
I had a Raleigh Boxer for my 6th birthday(1979 :shock: you do the maths :D ) i loved that bike.
For christmas when i was about 10 i really, really wanted a BMX, but i ended up with a tiny racer instead :( .
Fortunately both my nans gave me cash that year, plus my mate had got a DP Firebird so his Night burner was spare. A deal was struck and shortly afterwards my racer was sold back to the shop :D
I don't think my parents have completely forgiven me to this day :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

My son rides rides whatever he wants from my fleet.
My daughters birthday is in april so she usually gets a bike then as the weather is nicer for cycling :D

Me to loved it, 3 bricker ramps in the back ally no prob :LOL:
Reminisce my freind or was yours the silver earlier one?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 235
TGR":380m4dwd said:
How things have changed...

My daughter is 7 and she has had more bikes in her 7 years than i have had in my 45 (excepting the frames i have bought/acquired this year).

is this not just a function of a parent who loves cycling but didn't necessarily have the opportunities as a kid themselves and is making up ?

as a father I was thrilled when my daughter (age 5) appreciated a lighter bike properly adjusted that allowed her to go quicker than her friends compared to when I was a kid when it was the least money that could be spent........ :roll:

"is this not just a function of a parent who loves cycling but didn't necessarily have the opportunities as a kid themselves and is making up ? "

I don't think it is, I think there is a more disposable attitude to things now - even bikes. In the 70's we had hand-me-downs, second hand stuff and the like. Now, things are cheaper and children want new stuff. I would like to provide for my child but i would do so in a sensible manner (hopefully) - my wife may disagree.

My niece and nephew grew up in the 90's and 00's and got new bikes almost every year. My suspicion is that the seats were never put up to account for their changes in height - easy option - a new bike was bought. That would never have happened in my youth.

I am building my daughter a Peugeot retro and i need it done soon before she is too big for it!!! We will see what that costs at the end - just to prove myself wrong!

Happy New Year,

Richard

TGR":13qieo9r said:
"is this not just a function of a parent who loves cycling but didn't necessarily have the opportunities as a kid themselves and is making up ? "

I don't think it is, I think there is a more disposable attitude to things now - even bikes. In the 70's we had hand-me-downs, second hand stuff and the like. Now, things are cheaper and children want new stuff. I would like to provide for my child but i would do so in a sensible manner (hopefully) - my wife may disagree.

My niece and nephew grew up in the 90's and 00's and got new bikes almost every year. My suspicion is that the seats were never put up to account for their changes in height - easy option - a new bike was bought. That would never have happened in my youth.

I am building my daughter a Peugeot retro and i need it done soon before she is too big for it!!! We will see what that costs at the end - just to prove myself wrong!

Happy New Year,

Richard

I can sort of see both sides to this, really. Growing up in the 70s (and 80s, I suppose) money was tight, and certainly in the 70s, new bikes didn't really come - hand me downs, and all sorts. In the early 80s much of the same, really, tight budgets, better than BSOs probably but that was about it. Only when getting towards the mid 80s did I get my first, decent, new bike - and that was only a gas-pipe framed "racer", with steel / chromed rims. The first actual decent bike I got was one I bought for myself.

So for my kids, I've bought decent bikes, from new, a Ridgeback MX-14 as my eldest's first bike, then an Islabike Beiinn 20 (small) for his second. Both be decent and looked after, and they're fine for my youngest to use, so it's not without some sense - buy decent, buy once, I suppose. And I don't think I'm short-changing my youngest by doing so, because both bikes are still in great condition - it would be an utter waste not to reuse them, but as they are, and will be reuased, they make perfect financial sense - plus they show them the value of things, and not just chucking them out at the first opportuinity.

If my youngest ever truly wanted something different than was naturally being progressed to him, then I'd provide, too - because he should have something he's happy with, just like his older brother. When they're young, though, they don't really know what they want, so for the first few instances, they'll just have to trust my judgement.

I don't have a disposable attitude - it's probably one of the things that makes me a dinosaur and an anachronism in this day and age - but if I have the means, I do want my kids to get decent stuff, as and where I can. That's not to say they need high-end bike stuff - that said, if either of them took a real shine to it, and maintained a serious and sustained interest in whatever form of cycling, I'd certainly ensure they had something commensurate.

I don't want my kids to grow up with a disposable attitude, either - and get sucked in by wanton consumerism - not easy for kids, in a society that's significantly more consumerist than it was when I was growing up (and some parts of the family have more of a disposable attitude to possessions and things they buy, which does make it harder for them to sometimes realise the value of things). I want them to value the things they get - not be eternally grateful, mind - just appreciate and understand what it takes, and that it doesn't just all come on a plate, without effort.

Neil,

Bizarrely i agree with you!!! You have made some good points. I would like to instill the non-consumable attitude in my daughter - ask me again in 10 years!!!

I think that a lot of RBers consider themselves dinosaurs, but we are in fact leading the way in all things recycleable. My points -
How many times have you bought something here and received it in a used jiffy bag?
Have you posted stuff in used packaging?
Do you ride a retrobike?
Do you by used bits?

We are the recycling giants!!! Dinosaurs - maybe, but forward looking dinosaurs!!

Happy New Year,

Richard

TGR":2t60bsfc said:
...............I would like to instill the non-consumable attitude in my daughter - ask me again in 10 years!!!

I think that a lot of RBers consider themselves dinosaurs, but we are in fact leading the way in all things recycleable. My points -
How many times have you bought something here and received it in a used jiffy bag?
Have you posted stuff in used packaging?
Do you ride a retrobike?
Do you by used bits?

We are the recycling giants!!! Dinosaurs - maybe, but forward looking dinosaurs!!

Happy New Year,

Richard

I agree with all of this, but then on line forums are often frequented by like minded people with similar interests etc

so maybe "experienced" rather than just dinosaurs who saw the excesses of the previous decades and hope to learn and pass on to their children rather than perish.......

Back