Getting a bike for christmas as a kid

I was late coming to bikes - think I only had 2 as a kid. A Raleigh Strika that almost severed my nads on the stem one day, and then a black grifter XL complete with the dreaded 'slipgear'. It would just wait til you got up on the pedals lent forward for extra speed then gggwerk-wham! your nads would hit the cross bar and you'd crash from the pain.
Glory days!

I would be interested in the time lines of various bikes -
Chipper
Chopper
Grifter
Chipper and Chopper are in my time but the Grifter came out as i was maybe 13 along with BMX when i was around 14. MTB appeared around that time too.

Richard

When i was about six or seven i had an unknown metalic red bike for xmas, i do remember it had white handle bar grips and a white plastic saddle :) but thats as much as my memory can recall :oops: and that was it then with new bikes until i reached the ripe old age of ......... 35 !! :shock:
Mick :xmas-big-grin:

Hiya Mick !
Hope you have a good one mate :xmas-wink:
Are you doing the ride on the 29th ?
Mike

TGR":2vzg188d said:
I would be interested in the time lines of various bikes -
Chipper
Chopper
Grifter
Chipper and Chopper are in my time but the Grifter came out as i was maybe 13 along with BMX when i was around 14. MTB appeared around that time too.

Richard

You must be my age ish see my sig!

Tazio":m7q92a1u said:
Do kids still get bikes?

This kid did, should last him a few years until the Barracuda steps in to teach him the "Art" of the Retro ways :xmas-wink:

11548985706_ef8e087fc2_c.jpg

Mr History,

I am currently 45 and will be 46 in a couple of weeks time.

Richard

:shock: An islabike. Ooh how flash is that.
Soon though indeed he'll understand the Art of badly working cantis and age old parts for his peer group to laugh at

I got a 2nd hand Raleigh Chipper when i was about 5 or 6 :D then a new Cannondale when i was about 30. Yup the family have encouraged my cycling :LOL:
The Chipper nearly caused my demise on several occasions. Might have been down to having no brakes :LOL: Eventually it got nicked by some passing footie fans and when the police got it back dear old Dad got an earful over its condition
" Death trap " was how they described it :LOL:

TGR":2w9k0jz9 said:
Mr History,

I am currently 45 and will be 46 in a couple of weeks time.

Richard

suspect there are quite a few of that vintage, or there abouts, on here, was 46 last birthday myself,

first new bike age 4, second new bike age 25

I can remember a new burnt red/orange/rust Raleigh mustang with 5 speeds & thumb shifter, This was a small bike, 16" or maybe 20" wheels. Then a full size 18sp falcon fat trax, electric blue with holographic stickers, it looked awesome! That ended up with anodised tektro everything!

stolen from the web

a600512.jpg

Back