Gentlemen, I'm having some 700c tire issues...

pw_pw_la

Senior Retro Guru
So, this bike I'm building, well, it's an absolute d!ckhead.

Every single thing I try is not the right thing to try.

Although I'm sort of having fun problem solving each new headache, regardless.

The latest development is that, despite being a CX frame, and despite what I've been led to believe in my research, it just won't take a 33 sized 700c tire comfortably.

Which is gutting, because I finally found the ideal tire for it.

So now, back to the drawing board and I need some advice...

I'm looking for a 28-32 sized 700c tire, with tan walls AND knobs! Does such a thing exist in the modern world? Does anyone have anything they recommend?

I refuse to turn it into a strictly road machine. That's not my jam. It needs to be able to handle fire roads at least, for me to get any use out of it.

So any help, advice, and pointing in the right direction for a tire that matches the requirements above would be greatly appreciated.

this might be the knobbliest ...

or

BUT THEN.....HA!!!

burger////forgot about the 'tan wall' requirement.....

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
:(

To the best of my knowledge, no. Some old CX tublers were narrow with tan walls, but that doesn't help.

This may help though:

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/gravel-reader/cx-pro

Size: ETRTO 30-622 (28 x 1.20Inch)
Typ:Wired
Compound: Dual
Execution: Performance
Color:Black
Seal:Tube
Weight:400 g
Pressure:4.00 - 6.50 Bar (55 - 95psi)
Maximum load:65 kg
EPI:67
Profil:HS269
Article number:11100186.02
EAN:4026495757027
Tube:17, 18

Every single thing I try is not the right thing to try.

Is it French?

Tyre wise, just go 28mm slicks. Like many on here, I've navigated gravel with 25mm tyres and I'm still alive (albeit, I did get some moderate rim scratches on a couple occasions).
I don't think the knob on a 28mm tyre will give you much grip... Might as well shoulder the bike and run - it's a cx machine after all.

PS in fact, even briefly raced a pal on my 25mm vs his fancy gravel bike on a 50/50 gravel/tarmac route. Just to prove a point. Almost came off twice, and he won 😆 but I wasn't too far behind.

PPS you get 28mm gravelkings with tan walls I think.

Yeah, I know.

I should just run slicks.

But I don't want to run slicks!

This is my first ever none 26" MTB, so it's already pushing me well out of my comfort zone!

I need the knobby tires. I need something to help with the transition over!

I've been thinking the Gravelking might be the reasonable middleground solution.

But they're just sooooo boring! ;)

It's one of those bikes where you bought it for one thing that it's clearly not cut out for, and so, really, you should just sell it on and find the thing that IS what you really want/need.

But it's just so damn pretty!

And it's not as if they come up all that often.

I would love a word with the original owner, tho. As it's a custom job and I have no idea what he was thinking!

I've put a few k miles on 35mm touring tyres (the new Schwalbe marathon successors, whatever they were called) and a couple k miles on 37mm gravel knobblies (WTB Riddlers), both were hopeless in the wet. For dry offroading they were fun - a challenge with some slipping & sliding on trails that are easy on MTB tyres. On tarmac they were a lot worse than 28mm or 25mm.
I think 33mm knobblies are in the unfortunate range where you're getting bugger all grip, yet they are a lot slower than 25mm slicks on the road.
Biggest problem gravelling on 25mm slicks is that the rubber layer gets ripped up very quickly.

PS hence my 650B build... 700c is for thin slicks imho.

Again, no tan wall, but the Schwalbe cx comp 30mm is a nice and subtle tire. Not too expensive

1667070698120.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Woz
^ ..... and arguably better for gravel and fire roads. Good shout @grantoury - semi-slicks are a good compromise.

@pw_pw_la a few things:
- at least many true retro CX are few and far between. There actually wasn't a big difference clearance wise to normal touring frames.
- more modern CX bikes are set on 33C, and then that was upped to 35C a few years ago by the UCI. 🥱
- a good old heavy touring tyre is not a bad choice as already said. Just lower the pressure and they work.

These type of bikes will never have the traction and ground control like a 26" / 650B because of the contact patch, but in dry conditions they can fly with an adrenaline rush ;)

Last edited:
I saw one Super prestige cyclocross race, 15 years ago. They ran narrow tyres with minimal profile. And very low pressure in wet grass circumstances. Between 30 and 32 sounds about right, considering.

But a cyclocross race is a high energy event, no gravel or rocks but sand, mud and grass.

Back