Gazelle Champion Mondial

Did the test ride this morning. No broken spokes, no strange noises, nothing. The wheels were still as true when I got home as when I left. It was my first time on tubulars and so far so good. I like it.

Now I just have to test it on a fast descent (Mount Ventoux anyone?) to see if the tubulars don't come off the rims. :LOL:

Idea Idea

BtOTM

Bike tool Of The Month

A safe victory for you in the 1st edition me thinks

Definately have to agree with you there! I've really enjoyed this thread and has definately helped me with my Gazelle build.

re champion mondial in yellow

Hey what a read up this was. I did not know until today what a good bike thee are. I bought mine which is exactly the same as yours and has mostly campanolo athena but has old mavic rims and campag combi shifters from the same era i think. To be honest i know nothing much about racers as im more of a mountain biker. I might dig the bike and parts out and try and rebuild her. Has the same problem with the braze on front boss as well. Ill dig it out and put some pictures upo this week.

Did a longer ~90km test ride this last sunday.

Screenshot2011-08-14at102417PM.jpg

Woke up early and rode my Gazelle 8km to catch the train that would took me to the south margin of the tagus river. Got off the train and rode all the way down to the Espichel cape.

Some road sections were in not so good condition so as I stopped to eat something I kept checking the wheels and the spokes.

DSCN3640.jpg

Arrived safely at the cape.
DSCN3650.jpg

The Gazelle resting with some friends while I absorb the scenery.
DSCN3648.jpg

It has been a long time (20 years?) since my last visit. I completely forgot about the cape's old monastery... it's completely in ruins I'm afraid.
DSCN3654.jpg

Did all the way back to the train station but then turned towards the coast and then up north doing another ~25Km. End up taking the boat back to Lisbon.

DSCN3656.jpg

The wheels survived the "beating" with flying colors. Still straight, no broken spokes and no punctured tubulares. On the other hand the headset is starting to show some signs of "index steering" so I'll have to find a new athena headset sooner or later.

You fitted loose balls?

Great scenery. Looks like a mine retro meet in Portugal :)

I'm starting to dislike the way mapmyride.com deals with elevation data. It's simply not accurate. Does anyone know of better site?

Elev12k":3w3k0a7p said:
You fitted loose balls?

I thought of removing the balls from their retainers and add (at least) one to each cup. I've spent some time this afternoon regreasing and readjusting the headset and it feels much better now. I'll try that some other time. Does anyone tried that before? Did it work?

I have fitted loose balls in a bb because of a broken bearingcase. I don't remember if i added one or two balls. But you just have to makesure that it is full but don't overfill it.
The bike runs very smoothly now.

Back