Gazelle Champion Mondial

My guess is it is 'Mulder'. That is a typical Dutch name.

I did take a look using Google Maps. On Zuiddijk 95 there is a furniture shop located. On 93 a butcher and the neighbour on the other side has a key service bizz. Take a look yourself:

on Google Maps

Zaandam is one of the oldest industrialized areas in the world. Famous are the windmills that were used for all kinds of purposes, for example for wood, paint or mustard. Typical for Zaandam are the green wooden houses. Zaandam has still relatively much industry, often located nearby the river 'De Zaan'. Several foodstuffs, like for example chocolate come from Zaandam. Moreover it is where it all started for Ahold/Albert Heijn, a large grossery chain. Zaandam is located directly north of Amsterdam.

Zaanseschans.jpg

Picture with 1st Albert Heijn shop >>

800px-Zaanse_Schans_Kalverringdijk_050924_.jpg

Wouldn't it be fun to ride this Gazelle from Lisbon back to Zaandam? Now that's a project. :cool:

Lisboa-Zaandam.jpg

"walked" down the road in google's street view and immediately found a bike store with gazelles. :D

I see, on 81 :)

"Dirk Visbeek - 1200 m2 fietsplezier..."

(Dirk Visbeek - 1200 square meters bicycle joy...)

Other bikeshops in the area with a nice range of sports orientated equipment are Piet de Wit (old Stayer world champ) in Wormer and the Presto branch in Oostzaan. Of course there are great bike shops in nearby A'dam too.

Piet de Wit & Noppie Koch (his motor pacer)

I think you will appreciate the cap ;)

PIET%20DE%20WIT%20006.jpg

When Piet had his own bike shop he even had special 'Piet de Wit' issues built at Gazelle. In fact they were traditional Champion Mondials with 'Piet de Wit' on the toptube instead of 'Champion Mondial'.

jCymbal

fantastic progress and a route worth riding, there's a few famous roads along that path.

loving your headset press, will the wood the do the job? I need to get one together this weekend, and had been planning on plate steel, but wood we much easier to pull together :LOL:

what a turnaround on the frame, the wheels are ready, the components restored and a great looking job on the paint work. exciting times ahead, you soon be blowing up the tyres and wrapping the bars

I have a frame in similar condition and would love to try to achieve similar results. I'd love you to share the steps you took to restore the paint work

sanding, grade of paper etc
any product used to treat the rust
prime the paint
paint
repeat
etc

enjoying your thread, any tips appreciated.

cheers
g..

goodness

look at the size of that frame

the length of the stem

the size of that big ring

those long legs have leaverage :LOL:

I asked around and didn't find much. People always told me to do a full respray. If I had the original decals, Mercian (for example) close by and could afford it I would have done it. As it was I just tried to remove the rust and disguise the "bruises". I'm afraid I just improvised with the tools I had at hand.

gmac123":kqfh95d4 said:
sanding, grade of paper etc
any product used to treat the rust
prime the paint
paint
repeat
etc

Here it goes:

Removed the rust with 1000 sand paper.
Didn't use any product to treat the rust.
Didn't prime the paint.
Used two yellows, one ocre and white enamel to get the right shade of paint.
Waited two days and leveled/sanded/polished the paint with 4000, 6000 and 8000 micro mesh sanding sheets.
Repeat the paint and level steps until satisfied with result and done.

That is also how I used to do it, in the past: enamel (normally model build, like Revell) directly on top metal. Frames I did this way still look good today, however I do use a base coat nowadays. The stuff I am using is Caprotech RX5. It is a transparent coat with a slight amber tone. Very fluid, so the result will be a thin perfectly even surface and the RX5 went everywhere with its excellent penetrating qualities. I fear the Caprotech can't be had abroad, but maybe there are similar products??

If you ever decide to respray your frame and need decals: eBay-seller 'GTS753' has them >> http://cgi.ebay.com/Gazelle-set-decals- ... 45efab8e51

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
thanks Elev

I have a similar car rust treatment (used with success on the garden railings), think I'll apply after sanding.

cheers
graham

Back