Gary Fisher Supercaliber confirmed as '91

I was toying with the idea of another frame and transplanting all the kit over as it's in good condition. Not that anyone does 'Evolution' size headsets any more do they!?

It has dented (excuse the almost pun) my confidence in alu frames. Long live STEEL!!!!! :D

Some new downhill bikes have been playing with 'oversized' steerers, but I don't think they're the same, and not what you'd be looking for anyway!

If you want to transplant your forks, it'd probably be easier to just get a new steerer tube for your manitou 2s so you can run all your stuff on a new 'standard' 1 1/8" frame - you may need a new front derailleur too depending on the band size.

I'm sure if you put a wanted advert on this forum you'd get some responses from people who can help you out with all that you need.

Agreed I'm not a particular fan of Aluminium, but sometimes that's what we end up with. me - I've got a bit of just about everything - a carbon roadbike, an alluminium roadbike frame that's destined to be built as a single speed, a steel hardtail, a carbon and alluminium full-sus bike, and a rigid aluminium mtb... at the moment anyway!

I've just got the frame back from the blasters/powdercoaters.

I wanted it white, with black forks... they've given me a black frame with white forks!... and still charged me full price!

A black frame I can live with - not what I wanted, but as the powdercoat is probably tougher than the aluminium it's covering blasting it again to change its colour again could be risky - white forks don't look so good - now getting them done to match the frame.

Trying to look for a silver lining.

Well it's taken absolutely ages, but I've been able to go out for a short shake-down ride on the rejuvenated Supercaliber

Changes I've made:
- frame and forks powder coated matt black
- polished up the cranks (a bit)
- had some custom stickers cut out of vinyl (I did the design work myself based on originals)
- fitted a new (carbon) seatpost
- new headset
- rebuild hubs
- new brake cables and pads
- replaced the Alivio RD with an m737 XT unit I had lying around
- added some risers (which were originally anodised black) as the frame really is a bit small for me)
- painted the Zoom stem red.

It still needs a bit of work and some adjustments, but it is looking better than it did!

Attachments

• GFSC side.jpg
    GFSC side.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 7,291
  • GFSC front.jpg
    GFSC front.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 7,290
Back