Frankenstein rescued! - Fisher Prometheus - Part 6 - First ride

Part 4 - Final Assembly and First Ride

Well I had a late Christmas present from Hungary in the form of the XT STI units that we thought had been lost in the post, so on with the final assembly....

tempImageRqyZU6.jpg

The LH shifter wasn't working and needed a full dismantle, I discovered a loose pawl, which was solved with loctite, the re-assembly was less straight forward but now works like new. Next up cable routing, gear adjustment, brake adjustments, grips and a test ride down the lane.....

tempImageTeDO4H.jpg

A few more shots....

tempImageumNyLs.jpg

tempImagebQUl2N.jpg

tempImagequg7n0.jpg

....after a headset adjustment and the cassette swapped due to being loose.....it rode really well....solid, no creaks, doesn't feel flexy, just smooth, stable and light footed. Need to do a final clean up and apply the stem and fork decals and it'll be ready for some final photos.

Thanks again to Gavin from Coal Bikes (www.coalbicycles.com) for the super welding, Gil for the decals and various Ebayers for the parts over the years!

Where did you find that rear seat collar / cantilever brake housing bracket? Also do you find the rear brake to operate a bit stiff with the cable housing length you have there? Is there deformation of the housing when applying the rear brake? Aside from my questions, the bike is looking minty fresh. Nice work and patience.

Thanks for all the positive comments, I really enjoyed the journey! Muchalohanui, the brake hanger is Dia-compe I think, still available via Ebay....not an ideal route but a lower cable option I tried didn't really fit either, probably how it was? Welcome any alternatives? Need some dry weather in the UK now for a proper shake down!

Outstanding build thread and end result 😍

Really enjoyed following this one, looking forward to that proper shake down review 👍

Back