Funk Pro Comp

Pleased to see this pop back up :)

Those campy parts are going to look very cool on with that colour :cool:

unit3":3gx4o2cx said:
Pleased to see this pop back up :)

Those campy parts are going to look very cool on with that colour :cool:

Cheers :D

The grey/silver parts really make the frame stand out.

Ack!

They completely messed up when they mounted that Alien roller that way (that would be the small brass roller for the front derailleur cable above the bottom bracket).
It goes INTO the bottom bracket housing, dead center, rear.

n2ishun":1xvfsxrv said:
Ack!

They completely messed up when they mounted that Alien roller that way (that would be the small brass roller for the front derailleur cable above the bottom bracket).

Err :|

n2ishun":2ir2zf3m said:
Ack!

How do you come to that conclusion?
A large number of FUNK's I have seen on the web and other sources (including my own pro-comp) place the roller above the BB.

I see your post regarding your own early pro-comp, maybe it was a feature of the early models?

You should put a thread up in the readers MTB section about your's, it's always good to gather more info on the less documented MTB's :)

My Pro Comp was the first Funk with an alien roller.
I drilled and tapped the bottom bracket myself, later funks came with a 'nutsert' insert in exactly the same place mine is done.
It came from the Nishiki Alien bike which had similar styled chainstays and was a workaround to make the ft. derraileur work better.

Google up Nishiki Alien and you will see the origin of the idea and probably the theory behind the design.

Attachments

• alien.jpg
    alien.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 501
Maybe I have misunderstood your post.

When you say "they" messed up the placement of the roller, who are you referring to?

Surely the placement of the roller was found to work better set higher on the later models as that is the position they seem to mostly be situated?

You get much better leverage when the roller isn't so close to the derail....
I'm not going to drop a 6th year engineering thesis on the whole idea behind it, just try and use your imagination :)

BTW, back in those days it was incredibly hard to find a top pull ft. derail, just finding one to fit the right diameter tube was hard enough.
We were all about bandaids and geritol (you guys know what those are over there, right ?).
(edit)

They would be referring to whomever placed the roller in the area it was....uhh....placed in.
Obviously the OP bought it used so it wasn't him (her?).

I don't know if you can click on my name and see my attachments, but if you can, my bike is an original Funk Pro Comp from before the time of aluminum forks and even a remote idea of suspension.
Peruse at will.
More pics will come.

Anyway....should have some new bits and bobs coming in the next few days so I'll get some pics up. Hopefully it'll be "finished" soon.

Back