FSA Bottom Bracket - are they all different - help please!

slomo

Devout Dirtbag
I'm revisiting an old problem.....
I have some FSA SLK Road Carbon Triple cranks with a self extracting bolt - going into a 68mm shell.
There appears (to me at least) to be a bewildering array of MegaExo bottom brackets.
Which is why i haven't fitted the triple for years - just easier to stick with a (SRAM) compact double.
But a planned trip justifies (probably requires) the use of a triple.
Each 'chart', image etc i look at seems to specify a different BB.
Does anyone know if each FSA crank has a specific BB.....or is there at least some cross compatibility?
Some charts specify unique models (eg FSA BB-8681) and some simply state for example - 8000 'series'.
I've asked FSA.....
Any help greatly appreciated.

One of my favourite cranks that.
Are these the cranks you wish to install?

Some of those megaexo bbs are different yeah, looks like a different spindle diameter on some of them.

As an aside, BB standards were only just getting started back then!🤕

Attachments

• 14534_1_grande.jpg
    14534_1_grande.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 2
I've had a bit of a look for you.
I have a hunch that BB-6000, BB-7000, BB-8000 might work.
They had different shells made of different materials to distinguish different price points.

Wait for others to confirm what they know before ordering anything though.

Thanks ever so much for the reply.
Yes - that's the exact little buggers!
24mm spindle, self extracting NDS.
I used them until the BB got crunchy, then replaced them with a compact GXP double.
I recall i got frustrated because i understand that there are different BB standards, but FSA take it to a different level - having standards within standards.
At least there is cross compatibility with SRAM/Shimano.
It's been a while, but i seem to recall several bike shops scratching their heads and pointing out that 'well, they all LOOK the same'.....
But i need the triple soon and i'm working on the asumption that a new bottom bracket is cheaper than new cranks.
And to be fair to FSA, they were the only carbon triple i could find.
Anyway.....thanks again - your suggestion that different materials indicate different price points makes sense.
The original BB was this very weird brown/ginger/copper coloured thing - one of the stumbling blocks was i wanted a black or silver one.
I've never seen a brown/ginger/copper coloured frame (that the BB would match), but that's a different story.

I too have those weird copper coloured BB cups. I too would have preferred black. I think I gave up looking (or didn't even try, one of the two).

Did you order a BB yet?

I'll read the number off the BB for you this evening when I get home.
although, mines a double, sooooo. :)

Many thanks for the replies.
Yes, that colour (of the cups) is just.....weird - weird enough not to want to buy one of the damn things anyway.
No, i haven't bought a BB yet - i'm still trying to establish if there are any options (see above).
Thanks novocaine!
FSA wouldn't design a crank and or BB with no cross compatibility whatsoever?
Would they.....?

Awesome!
Very many thanks for the pic.
I will keep digging and see what i turn up.....

Latest posts

Back