FS - Beautiful Kona Explosif, full bike

Peterpoddy

Retrobike Rider
IMG_4716 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

The time has come to sell my beloved Explosif.
Why? Because I hardly ever ride it, and it’s going to waste.
Make no mistake though, I’d rather keep it then a) Sell it off cheap or b) Split it.

I built this bike about 3 years ago and I don’t think I’ve ridden it any more than 5 times since then. It’s had a full Argos Cycles respray, with transfers by Gil. I had the cable hanger removed from the stem and cable tie guides installed on the top tube for the Magura hydraulics. They would also take full length outers for vee brakes should you wish.
I think the paint etc cost me over £300. I might still have the receipt actually….

From the outset I wanted to build a bike to be ridden, not looked at, hence there’s some modern bits on there too (grips, saddle, tyres) and I put on what I consider to be the very best stuff I could lay my hands on. It’s not a faithful restoration, but a practical one.

The frame is a US spec one from 1993. It came in a single colour - British racing green - so I tried to get as close to that as I could. The US bikes also had champagne gold forks and stem, which I also copied, well, near enough.
It’s gorgeous. The metallic paint is lush and shiny. The frame is the lightest steel frame I’ve ever weighed (4lb 1oz if I recall correctly) with the lovely fluted down tube that comes with the Tange tube set. It flies, even with a lump of me on it, it feels fast, direct and an utter joy to ride. I love it, it’s everything I ever hoped it would be and more

It’s not immaculate, I HAVE ridden it! There’s tarnishing on the front mech and a few small scratches, but nothing to detract from the bike as a whole, which is pretty stunning I think.
The has been some play in the front wheel which I traced to loose a loose fit on the bearings in the hub. I’ve literally just used Loctite on the bearings which should cure it, but I like to be honest, OK?

SPEC
1993 Kona Explosif, Tange Ultimate Ultrastrong, fluted down tube. 19in size
Triple butted Project Two forks
Which turn on a lovely XTR headset
100mm Velocity stem
Kona Race Light bars (Immaculate)
Kona Race Light inline seatpost, 27.0mm (rare)
Modern SDG Bel Air saddle, hollow cromo rails
Green Goldtec hubs laced with SS DB spokes onto Mavic 618 Ceramic rims. (Gotta be £500 worth new, surely?)
Tyres are Charge Splashbacks
Shimano Deore XT mechs and XT 7/8 speed thumb shifters, 8sp XT cassette, XT Sharkfin!
Modern Middleburn cranks 175mm, 22/32/44 Hardcoat rings
Spinning on a Royce Titanium bottom bracket. I’ll say that again - Royce Titanium BB!
Held together with X-Lite crank bolts
1996-ish Maugura HS33 hydraulic brakes in white with new pads, no leaks, working well.
Green Salsa QR skewers

Now, I REALLY would prefer to do the transaction in person and not post the bike. I will post it if necessary though. I might be able to meet you half way, or come to some arrangement…. I;m in Farnborough, Hants and I work in West London (I’m a bike shop mechanic) if that helps?
£750 is the price.
Current Pics here
https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_atk ... 273641193/

Older pics here, before and after etc
https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_atk ... 943464132/

Back