Fitness and weight loss milestone passed yesterday....

There was a programme on the subject just recently

Yes, it was a Horizon program, that's what originally put me on to intermittent fasting.

I only cycle for the pure pleasure of it these days, but I do go to the gym regularly, anything up to 5 days a week. I cycle to and from the gym, which is about 2.5 miles mainly uphill on the way there, and downhill on the way back, which gives me a nice warm-up and warm-down. At the gym I do a fairly intense bodybuilding/weight training routine and haven't noticed any drop off in the weight I can lift or the number of reps I can perform, in fact there seem to be no negative effects from intermittent fasting whatsoever and I feel pretty good on it.

The only negative is that I may have to buy some new trousers with a smaller waist size soon. :D

JamesM":3ibsaj57 said:
Its worth remembering that we are pre-programed to crave fatty, sugary, salty foods etc. because we need these substances to live, they are our fuel, and we are pre-programmed to use as little energy as possible obtaining them. Watch one of those nature programs with lions or whatever hunting for their food. If the hunt fails they used up a load of energy but got nothing back. The next time they try they willl be weaker so the chance of success will be reduced. Eventually if they don't catch something they will die. So for them it's all about conservation of energy and when it's available consuming as much fat and sugar etc. as possible as it may be a while before they eat again. We were the same not too long ago, now though we can hop in the car (conserving our energy) and go to Tescos where we can buy as much fat and sugar as we can carry in the boot of said car and it's in our nature to do so!!! Evolution takes thousands of years and so hasn't caught up with farming and shops yet. It's only our higher level brains that can make this realisation and fight that programming by restricting what we eat and being active even though we don't need to be.

Referring back to my to my pervious comments; fasting is something that happens in nature simply because food is hard to come by. We evolved over hundreds of thousands of years to live a certain way and its not the way of the car and the supermarket, both of which have only been around for a very short time.

xerxes":5p8ltetj said:
There was a programme on the subject just recently

Yes, it was a Horizon program, that's what originally put me on to intermittent fasting.

I only cycle for the pure pleasure of it these days, but I do go to the gym regularly, anything up to 5 days a week. I cycle to and from the gym, which is about 2.5 miles mainly uphill on the way there, and downhill on the way back, which gives me a nice warm-up and warm-down. At the gym I do a fairly intense bodybuilding/weight training routine and haven't noticed any drop off in the weight I can lift or the number of reps I can perform, in fact there seem to be no negative effects from intermittent fasting whatsoever and I feel pretty good on it.

The only negative is that I may have to buy some new trousers with a smaller waist size soon. :D

I cant help you with the weights/gym thing,never understood it, plus i naturally bulk up and hate it. You could start to think your body building by extending the lengths of your pleasurable rides....your building your lungs, which may just be more beneficial than a set of pecs :) . Supersonic legs and lungs on the middle age is a neat trick, have a look around, most out there could'nt walk 20 mile never mind bike it....they wont be any bonnier in a decades time. Besides you can do all the weight lark at home without weights (so to speak). Hand and wrist exercises are tidy for riding a bike, lots of spills are created cause the riders somehow had the bar snatched from thier grip....and along with our lungs and legs the grip is something we will be partaking in nearly our entire life.

You might be in for a shock on the strides front, you loose too much weight then finding suitable (non kid/designer) trousers nowadays with a small waist size can prove problematic...the manafacturers stepped in line with the masses half a decade ago (smallest sizes dropped from lines due to no takers)

Back