First time Roadie.....1986 Peugeot PH501

Re:

Where she stands at the moment:

Drops swapped for bullhorns (bit more of a relaxed style - she's a commuter after all)
New UN55 bottom bracket to replaced cup/cone original (just couldn't get it to feel smooth enough)
New chain to replace original (which was worn to limits)
Flite saddle
New tyres - Michelin Dynamic Sport - £17 a pair delivered. Cheap as chips so not sure how long these will last!
Wheels trued
Brakes/Gears adjusted.

Hopefully this weekend coming up I'll be able to attack with the cleaning kit and spruce her up a bit.

Really loving riding this bike.....it really is smooth and light. Amazing to think it's 2 years off being 30yrs old....

Ghosty":2rwm5qo7 said:
Lookin' good! Love Peugeots of this vintage, but they always seem to elude me.

Cheers!

I got lucky with this one - I'd been looking around for a while at various Peugeot racers, not realising my mate was willing to part with his. It only took a discussion down the pub and a few text messages to arrange a sale.

It's needed a little tlc to get it properly roadworthy but well worth it.

Rear hub is the only part which is a bit iffy now. I'm now on the look out for a maillard helicomatic rear hub as this one was run without a locknut on my first outing (and possibly for several rides previously). I've added a locknut and adjusted it the best I can but it's still really grumbly...... :(

I've got one i can sell, only trouble is it still has a mavic ma rim and spokes attached. Came off of a peugeot triathlon.

Maca":3v2rnfje said:
I've got one i can sell, only trouble is it still has a mavic ma rim and spokes attached. Came off of a peugeot triathlon.

Cool - I'd be interested in it for sure.....I've got another lined up from a friend who has one available but it's good to have spares right?

How much would you want for it? Drop me a PM with details. :)

Another bike......another tool. The rear hub is a Maillard Helicomatic which requires a special lockring tool to get the rear cassette off.

So through the power of the retrobike forum and its lovely members I've managed to source one - cheers Paul (OldNed)!

Not only can I remove my rear cassette I can also true my spokes and open a bottle of beer to celebrate! ;)

Long time no update!

Been commuting on the Pug for a couple of years now, I've since worn out the 42t chainring and the rear wheel let go (cracks around the spokes).

I signed up for a 100 mile sportive which I completed last month on the old girl, but not before overhauling the mechanicals.

Now running a Shimano 105 front and rear derailleurs, a NOS 42t chainring, a replacement Mavic/Helicomatic hubbed rear wheel, Schwalbe Lugano tanwall tyres.

Took this on one of the feed stops that we had - this was about 66miles in at Attleborough

....and since the ride, after seeing photos of my riding position and becoming quite uncomfortable after riding for a long period of time I've modified the handlebar arrangement. Turns out I was riding very stretched out. To rectify I've added a shortened stem (now 60mm was 100mm) and I've re-fitted the original drop bars and have added Shimano 105 aero levers/white bar tape.

Went out for an extended commute home last night to try out the new setup - did 20miles in just over an hour and felt very comfortable.

Any comment on bar setup greatly appreciated. It feels good but I'm sure there's room for improvement.

Next mod - I've ordered a tan Turbo repro saddle which should be arriving next week.

Re: First time Roadie.....1985(?) Peugeot PH501(?)

sherlylock":2kykvz2c said:
Finally found a catalogue entry for the bike! Albeit in German....looks like it may be a 1986 model.

Thought mine might've been the biggest frame too...but the largest frame is a 64cm (mine's a 62cm)

Also looks like it's a continental model - this colour-way and spec only seems to be in the German catalogue.

http://www.peugeotshow.com/

Hi, I`ve had lots of Peugeots from the 80`s , you can`t go far wrong with them, Yours was a UK model, here is the link for the UK 1985 catalogue entry
http://www.bikeboompeugeot.com/Brochure ... ashion.jpg

This model was the Triathalon, The following year in 1986 it was upgraded with better forks and an additional set bof bottle cage mounts and was finished in white with the word Triathalon actually written on the top tube, this version is far more commonly found esp on ebay.
To date your bike you will prob find the serial number begins with a Y or a B prefix and the next number may be 5? that indicates its a 1985 bike. Its not an exact science with Pugs but this was generally the rule for the 80`s factory models.

Re: First time Roadie.....1985(?) Peugeot PH501(?)

marshalllucky":33n6j8ye said:
sherlylock":33n6j8ye said:
Finally found a catalogue entry for the bike! Albeit in German....looks like it may be a 1986 model.

Thought mine might've been the biggest frame too...but the largest frame is a 64cm (mine's a 62cm)

Also looks like it's a continental model - this colour-way and spec only seems to be in the German catalogue.

http://www.peugeotshow.com/

Hi, I`ve had lots of Peugeots from the 80`s , you can`t go far wrong with them, Yours was a UK model, here is the link for the UK 1985 catalogue entry
http://www.bikeboompeugeot.com/Brochure ... ashion.jpg

This model was the Triathalon, The following year in 1986 it was upgraded with better forks and an additional set bof bottle cage mounts and was finished in white with the word Triathalon actually written on the top tube, this version is far more commonly found esp on ebay.
To date your bike you will prob find the serial number begins with a Y or a B prefix and the next number may be 5? that indicates its a 1985 bike. Its not an exact science with Pugs but this was generally the rule for the 80`s factory models.

Top knowledge - thanks for that! I'd searched for ages to find out details when I first got the bike but could only find the German catalogue.

I've seen the white triathlon a few times on eBay and thought that it looked quite similar to mine - so I'd assumed it was a model year later.

I'll check out the serial number later to see if it confirms a year......

Nice one. :)

Back