First Retro Build - Yet another white Lava Dome

graham1975":3r1cxnu2 said:
Iv built plenty of non period builds, its just that i prefer the look of cantis thats all, thuis kona im building now will be the 1st period build iv done and iv done quit a few builds useing retro frames

ive been having the same dilemas, Vs or cantis, for my explosif, ive gone for Vs this time, on my tbg bikes, i stuck to the original specs and cantis, just my own dilema... :D

Absolutely agree about the cantis vs Vs dilemma. Had I been fortunate enough to pick up a real rarity, I very much doubt I'd have have wanted to compromise the originality of the frame by brazing a cable stop on.

Lava Domes aren't rare though - yet. And the attraction for me was in getting a decent-quality steel frame at not a lot of cash (though it turned out rather more expensive than I'd imagined).

So, head says Vs - for stopping and - for authenticity, heart says cantis. Having said that; when V brakes first became available, like most, I couldn't wait to bodge a solution onto my bike at the time.

As it stands, I guess, what with the colour, the bike most aptly fits the 'neo-retro' tag.

Back