Fat Chance Kickstarter

Re:

Most recent e-mail from Chris:

"Dear Xxx,

It' been a while since we updated you on your new Fat Chance frame and with us being so close to getting paint on the first of the Kickstarter bikes I wanted to share with you some more details on exactly where we're at. If all goes as planned, this week the first custom Kickstarter frames will be ready to go to the custom paint shop. Powder coating will begin on the remaining KickStarter frames next week.

It's a big step. It means, as far as the framebuilding goes, these first frames have gotten all the love we can give them. We are doing the final checks now. We’ve done all that’s possible for full-on Fat performance and function. Now we just need to give them some color and final assembly. Then we'll roll them out to the first recipients!

Again, if all goes as planned, the first ones will ship later this month and the rest of this first batch including your Production frame are scheduled to go out in January. We will give more info on ship dates once we have put a few bikes through the entire process.

Some of you have been contacting us asking when your bike will be coming to you. Let me fill you in a bit. When starting on the this first run of Fat Chance frames I had no idea what a long journey I would be on. There’s been so much tooling to do. Then the proofing of each tool or fixture, ensuring it makes the parts just as we need them. And for sure, I didn't know how much of the production I would be doing myself. The answer has been a lot!! I have been here, at Ventana, working long hours for months, assuring each step is done to the highest quality. A big appreciation to Sherwood Gibson and his team for being so great to work with!

Those of you that have ridden Fats, know I am very meticulous with all aspects of framebuilding. From designing through the final touches. I like my frames to look clean and streamlined. I am spending considerable time creating this visual quality. It doesn't do much for the eyes that don't look. But many folks over the years have told me how much they appreciate the clean lines and simplicity of my designs. This finish work is my personal touch. And I really appreciate your patience & understanding. The wait will be worth it!

Cheers to the Fat coming your way.

Chris Chance"

What's the latest on final costs for production frames?

In my mind the initial price was pretty ridiculous for a 'standard' non-custom frame, and I've not followed developments - have the final prices come down out of interest, or are they still more than having a custom made frame, er, made...?

Re:

Iirc the frame prices were fixed at the outset of the KS. There's been no discounting. He offered a few cheaper options and more choice for backers. Those that 'invested' did so knowing full well that a good chunk of the price was for his huge set up costs etc. The guys doing a lot of the work himself and deserves respect for that.

Some of us are just big fans of the brand, like the Klein fans and want to see him back doing what he does best. Bitd there was a tiny market for his hand built bikes and so it remains. 99% of people can never justify spending 'car' money on a bicycle. I only bought the $250 clothing option but I'm happy with that. Il wait to see how his full sus frame turns out. :xmas-big-grin:

Re: Re:

M-Power":twgxpjrq said:
Iirc the frame prices were fixed at the outset of the KS. There's been no discounting. He offered a few cheaper options and more choice for backers. Those that 'invested' did so knowing full well that a good chunk of the price was for his huge set up costs etc. The guys doing a lot of the work himself and deserves respect for that.

Some of us are just big fans of the brand, like the Klein fans and want to see him back doing what he does best. Bitd there was a tiny market for his hand built bikes and so it remains. 99% of people can never justify spending 'car' money on a bicycle. I only bought the $250 clothing option but I'm happy with that. Il wait to see how his full sus frame turns out. :xmas-big-grin:

I am a fan of the brand and I went for the whole tamale. It was a lot of $$ to pay, but the important thing is my wife doesn't know how much I paid. ;)

Initially, I was a little impatient waiting for the bike, but realistically, I don't really need it. I am happy to wait to see how it turns out. I requested a pretty cool custom color scheme, so mine might take longer. I am cool with that.

Was just thinking about this today on my ride... hope people start getting them so we can see what they are like...
Was pondering if I shoudl have gotten one instead of my new FS bike...

T'boo Ted":1lynjd78 said:
Was just thinking about this today on my ride... hope people start getting them so we can see what they are like...
Was pondering if I shoudl have gotten one instead of my new FS bike...
They just sent me a picture of my frame. The paint job looks amazing! Hopefully I'll get it soon! I'll post a pic fully built up.

Re:

Lots of pics of these on FB, not only do the new frames and forks look amazing but the lovely ride and great handling is getting rave reviews too. All sold out now. I'm holding off for a carbon full susser though :cool:

Back