Fat Chance Kickstarter

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Fat back but my abiding memory is that video of him hand shaping the bullet stays with his own hands. Sure most of his bikes weren't built by him but he had a hand, he oversaw, you were buying into him and his skills, experience and knowledge. He was a leading light in the eighties and nineties but he's far from that now so you're not buying his skill, you're not getting his knowledge and experience of building 27/29 modern trail bikes, you're not getting heritage or a proven design so all you are buying into is the decal.

Re:

I'm sure most people would love to see Chris make a go of this but so far there is not enough detail for me to drop that kind of cash. I'd really like to know who is going to be building them.

I find it hard to be so concerned at someone trying to make a bit of money out of their heritage. Look at all the pop groups doing reunion tours.

What I really want is a new Klein designed by the man himself.

Hopefully that would prick a hole in the bubble of superiority so many new owners seem to have.

Who is to say Fat 2.0 won't actually turn out some great bikes?

highlandsflyer":207znfvl said:
Look at all the pop groups doing reunion tours.

Surely that's a solid argument against this?! :LOL:

It is indeed possible they could be brilliant, but there's nothing to support that at the moment so you're being asked to take a massive gamble with a huge amount of money.

highlandsflyer":yzugvm3s said:
I find it hard to be so concerned at someone trying to make a bit of money out of their heritage. Look at all the pop groups doing reunion tours.

Who is to say Fat 2.0 won't actually turn out some great bikes?

But the pop bands still do the singing and/or dancing, all this is is sticking decals on someone else's work. To use your analogy Chris Chance is the Milli Vanilli of the bike world..

I'm sure FC 2.0 can make some great bikes but why not do what everyone else does - build bikes, get reviews, build a name, build on success. The problem he's going to face is the number of people who will buy a new bike just because of the FC name is so, so small.

He will struggle with that target of selling 250 frames in a year - at the peak of their fame and market position they only created 200 premium priced 10th anniversary frames. The market for high end hard tails is much smaller now than in 92, the marketing clout of FC is much lower, the pool of people who know or remember the FC name is now tiny.

Why doesn't he go back to his roots, sell bikes handbuilt one at a time under the Chris Chance name and become a custom builder again -far better suited to his customer base size and far better way of bringing in new customers

Back