Fat Chance Kickstarter

Re:

P.s. It's a tough sell as even the cheapest frame is about £1600 and that buys a complete retro build of a very decent quality.

And let's be honest a large chunk of Fat legend is the heritage...

Re: Re:

ez054098":2wj95ryu said:
I suggested in the Comments section that they should offer a rigid for for us old school fools.

I got this back:

You are not the only one who wants a rigid fork. We are planning on making a short run of rigid forks. Stay tuned for more news about the forks.
Thank you for your support,
Chris

Re:

The alternative is to buy a full custom IF steel deluxe (made by ex-fat builders) and a set of Igleheart (ex Fat Chance) forks and not only will you have change from the $2500 starting price but you'll also have a bike with far more Fat Chance heritage than this clusterf*ck of a relaunch bike will ever have (and you'll have after sales cover which you won't have with this after the company disappears again).

I honestly can't believe that anyone is laying that amount of money on a bike that:
1) has no confirmed design other than a photoshopped vintage yo
2) has no confirmed builder
3) has no confirmed spec other than 'custom drawn tubing' and 'trail geometry'
4) is not custom sized or built to individuals needs
5) has gone from a grand relaunch to a lame kickstarter

I'm a big fat chance fan but this is just pissing on the grave of a great memory

e6a64328.jpg

He's just about got half the money only 24hours in though. I'm guessing he's using Kickstarter as he didn't want any investors this time and for the company to remain his from now on. I think I'm right in saying they were bought over in the 90's by a holding company who also purchased Serotta at the same time? He does need to release a few more details as to who's building them. if he's outsourcing etc etc

It's a good way of making sure people who say they want one will actually pay!
Otherwise something like 20% of people who say they will buy one actually will!

Kickstarter is great for people with a brilliant idea or an innovative solution that is hard to find backers for, projects that need investment to get tooling, machining or prototyping done. What he's doing is getting other people to buy batch-made bikes from Sycip, Ventana or whoever at an inflated rate over the retail for what - a different decal.

Why not cut out the middle man, who isn't really adding anything special to the mix having been out of the bike industry for over a decade and is now offering a generic bike at a huge price, and go straight to the custom builder who will build a bespoke bike and who deserves the custom?

If he wants to get Fat Chance back up and running again then do what other builders do and dig out the torch and earn that $2500 rather than sell someone else work as his own.

He's planning to build 250 by August 2015, hasn't lifted a torch is 15 years and posted in the blog about visiting various builders so I'm going to say no.

That said, he's only got commitment to 15 frames out of that 250 so could build them himself.

Back