F1 2013

tintin40":18elria3 said:
highlandsflyer":18elria3 said:
Vettel overtook despite team orders.

Despite the fact I can't stand the wimpy little Vettel, (Webber is much more of a man's man,

Then Webber should have gone and taken the place back and showed the Nazi he can't boss this 'team' mate about. He is a disgrace to Aus men letting that boy get away with it. A ticking off from the team boss.

Webber is no 'racer'
He was coasting to the end to conserve the tyres, engine,... as per team orders.

It spawned two thoughts for me:-

1) Vettel clearly wants to win, clearly does do a lot of winning, and without doubt, the team are largely focused around him. Problem being, though, that at times, both the team, and him, require a compliant "2nd" driver. Both for the constructors championship, and for later on in the season when it will likely be much more necessary that the "2nd" driver makes way for the first. Compare and contrast this to Schumacher - perhaps in his early, brash years he would have done the same - and perhaps we should just see that for Vettel. Schumacher learned to be smarter and more savvy, though.

2) Brawn made a very good point over the radio to Rosberg - ie we are asking Hamilton to drive to a pace, like we (effectively) want you to - as did Webber - they can't realistically race the cars at nearing true pace, they have to do so at a managed pace, so that tyres won't lunch themselves. Point being, when a team-mate in front isn't driving as quickly as the following driver, it isn't necessarily because they can't go any faster, but moreso they are being told to manage their pace and drive to a certain lap time. It's very easy for the follwing driver to try and look smug and restrained that they could go faster - quelle-fecking-suprise, probably most of the field could go faster, the problem is, modern F1 isn't so much about driving as fast as possible or racing as such, any more. The "spectacle" is more important, so all the machinations (of note at this juncture, the tyres) mean races are more about managing the speed and energy pushed through them.

CART / champ-car started to go through that phase around the late 90s, when for many, strategy and fuel economy started to become more important than damned well going fast.

Webber seemingly tried to take the place back, but presumably cleared his mind and remembered he is a number two. In more ways than one.

I would have been so furious I would have run Vettel off the track.

Well, I say that... In the event I would probably rather break Monty Python's Bruces' rules than risk my cosy multi million pound deal.

Webber needs to deck Vettel, no car damage, no championship ruined, smug little shit being handed wins gets knocked on his arse. Job's a goodun.

At the end of the day racing is about who can complete the whole race the fastest, it's faster/safer/less chance of mechanical failure to drive at 9 tenths than flat out. If they went flat out the whole time they'd have to make 6/7/8 pit stops a race to change tyres the net result being the tortoise who has only stopped twice completes the race distance in less time.

Vettel needs taking down a peg or three. Almost as much a tosser as Hamilton.

I'd rather watch Webber knock him out and Fernando batter Hamilton than the racing tbh.

technodup":2tarokih said:
Vettel needs taking down a peg or three. Almost as much a tosser as Hamilton.
Thing is, like him, or loathe him - he is fast. Much as I tend to personally prefer Webber over Vettel, you'd have to say, Vettel pulled away from Webber in 2010, and never looked back.

Although I think this latest contretemps is revealing of Vettel, and suggestive that he believes he is beyond the team's machinations, I can't help but think he'll largely be tolerated.
technodup":2tarokih said:
I'd rather watch Webber knock him out and Fernando batter Hamilton than the racing tbh.
I reckon Webber could take Vettel, too - and I suspect he's not quite enough of a faster runner to get away. Fernando against Hamilton? Hmmm.... not sure, I want to think Fred could take him, but maybe Hamilton has hidden depths - or maybe that's just the faux urban attitude he comes out with in slightly more informal situations.

Here's the question - Schumacher storming down the pitlane Spa '98 - chin, or no chin, I reckon he could have taken Coulthard.

Back