Ever get annoyed at modern bike riders?

More fool them. Our steel framed bikes will still be around when all the modern pretenders have become landfill.

Outside of competition, I can't see why anyone would want to chase technology.

All other things being equal, on the way to the shops no mountain bike would have a chance in hell of keeping up with this:

DSCN0340.jpg

haha thats wicked.... ive got an old triumph ... basically what that is but mines still got the chainguard, mudguards and lights. and its stupidly quick and stupidly comfortable !! bloody brilliant things :)

oh and on the basis of sweeping generalisations... have you ever had a conversation with anyone under the age of 21 about mountainbiking? or bikes in general?? i recently had a burner that i built from the ground up to my spec. i rode it very hard and on the local track wooped everyone elses arse! im not a pro rider but there was a fair few people there that ride comps. and they still believe modern is better,,, with oooh why would you ride that old thing... because it may be a 84 burner but it still weighs less goes faster and has no cracks in unlike your brandnew felt!

i have the same problem coming accross mtb'ers that are the same age (rare now that may be) but nothing tends to sway there mind as to modern is better... its not just bikes either, music, tech anything has to be modern to be better... i just feel that people arnt being educated enough to have a broad enough immagination to understand these things?
or at least entertain the possibility of older being better? i still retain my thought that bitd things were built to last, we now live in a throwaway culture

andrewl":1uonnec7 said:
Andy B":1uonnec7 said:
Anyone get annoyed at sweeping statements?

Yes very much so...

tell ya what i hate, half arsed one liners ;)

Think of life as a multi lane motorway - there are those that barrel along as fast as possible in the fast lane, those that plod along in the slow lane, those in the middle lanes doing neither

I'm the one on the bridge overhead, watching....

waiting....

retrowagen1234":1ik4w20m said:
oh and on the basis of sweeping generalisations... have you ever had a conversation with anyone under the age of 21 about mountainbiking? or bikes in general??

Speaking only from my own experiences, yes I've had many a good conversation about mountain biking and bike development. Although yes it can be a little difficult talking to someone about a bike which is older than they are.

I suspect the person who made comment on your bike, could have made equally sweeping statements about your car, tv, house, garden, wife etc etc etc they just happened to be sitting on a modern bike at the point in time in question. They could equally have been sitting on an old bike and found something else wrong with your ride... ;)

Last day, I rode my Merlin.
Another rider I met with a full carbon and suspension, said to me : "what a strange bike you have… but you should try a real mtb ! Discs, suspensions………"

He had to stopped his ride a few kilometer after : the rear shock had broken…

:roll: :LOL:

sastusbulbas":1ck5388y said:
Roadies seem to be the worst, many look down on me, with my old Trek and rack, sad really...
Well I'm pleased to hear that I'm not the only one who says "Hello" to middle aged men in multi-coloured lycra, only to get an aloof smirk in return. :x

i allways used to ride (before i got made redundant) backwards and forwards to work.. was around a 6mile each way ride, down some country cycle routes... there was sooo many people on racing bikes, old and new that would not even break a smile, or a Morning to me ... but then you had the older guys on beaten old hacks which would say morning on the button!! every day! my favorite one was a guy on an old kona, was realy beat up. and covered in oil like they used to do bitd to stop things rusting... he rode that everyday, id see him going the otherway even if i was driving in the rain!! without fail everyday 8.30... when he started to recognise my car he even put his hand up! lol

but you still get the youngster "what you looking at" brigade and the middle aged lycra warriors looking at you in utter discust lol, i regualarly rode a kona nunu and a peugeot loaded with campag bits and still got it from people on halfords apollo racers lol :LOL:

I was out tonight, spinning out on my NF (53t - 14t about 34mph flat out and I mean flat out) saw a licra clad Specialized carbon thingy going the other way - over weight rider and everything - I smile as way of hello - not a bloody word...

i passed three going home a while ago,i was wearing my offshore sailing jacket and wellies as it had been pouring down,i hung in behind them then drew level so each could see the guy passing them is wearing Wellington boots before overtaking them and disappearing
:twisted:
I was on my frankenbike cobbled together in mis-matching coulors

dyna-ti":5lzypwca said:
i passed three going home a while ago,i was wearing my offshore sailing jacket and wellies as it had been pouring down,i hung in behind them then drew level so each could see the guy passing them is wearing Wellington boots before overtaking them and disappearing
:twisted:
I was on my frankenbike cobbled together in mis-matching coulors

haha thats quite kool :) makes me wanna dig the old triumph outa retirement :D

Back