Ever get annoyed at modern bike riders?

Great bike condition and amazing photo. The way you've used those fish to echo the flash of red-orange on the frame and the green bottle cage to echo the surroundings is really clever...

modern filth

:D dont they teach history these days? rigid as a mass product was born long before any sus bikes.and,alot of guys and gals are going back to it for its response and climbing abillity,generally lighter too.which,tells you straight away that these punks can only do gently -down -the- hill ventures!
i see this all the time...if a bike doesnt have dinner plate disc brakes and full sus then it is not worth even looking at never mind the £35 asking price.lol.
my nephew has that modern approach,naturally,and i nearly put my back out trying to lift it!
:shock:
fight the power brother!!!

Nothing wrong with suspension, nothing wrong with rigid, nothing wrong with old or new.

It's the "mine is better" attitude prevailent on all sides that suck, IE modern rubbish, old tat, mountain bikers roadies etc etc. :roll:

Roadies seem to be the worst, many look down on me, with my old Trek and rack, sad really, I used to ride a road bike as well but always had a smile and nod for other cyclists.

I have had a couple of "fancy mtb" riders go by me on a climb once, both looking at my old "clunker" with noses in the air while riding their sussies and discs, at the time the Trek 930 had Judy XC 96, Avid Ti V brakes and Hope's on Ceramics. The look on their face's when I gubbed them by tanking by in the big ring was priceless as was the crunch of gears and flustering as they attempted an effort to fight back. Must have been even more embarasing for the twats as I was practically twice the girth of them ( well I am not slim).

I kept getting similar treatment when I was riding one of my sussers, with a lady roady politely saying morning and then flying by every couple of mornings. I took the old Fat Chance out one morning, managed to reel her in, then leave her eating dust on the final climb to my work. She must have thought me a twat but it felt necessary at the time LOL :D (even if it did knock my pan in, but she didn't see me floundering like a fish out of water when I got to work)

i ride both my bikes with a group of modern-bike riders

i'm faster up hills, ok down them, and the centrifugal balance speed of my bike is higher.

thats the only differences i can see

Because mountain biking has seen a huge boom in the past 10 years, many riders are completely unaware of what came before that.
Some people don't even know what V-brakes are let alone cantis.
I wouldn't let other people's ignorance annoy me, nor other people's opinions upset me.
I do however find it amusing when some riders seem to believe that it is impossible to ride alot of terrain without full suspension and discs, etc.

The mountain bike magazines don't really help matters though, constantly banging on about how essential it is to have the latest kit. They do have an agenda to make sure that new stuff sells to sustain the cycle industry, as well as appeal to the fashion needs and desirea of the modern mountain biker.
But every now and then it would be nice if they did run articles about the 'history' of mountain biking, and the simple pleasures of old bikes.
MBUK and WMB have both run features about the Pace RC100, which is good to see.

We all know that alot of modern gear performs alot better than older stuff, but whether that added performance is necessary is a moot point.

But what I really hate is when people just look at your bike and ignore a friendly greeting, as though they are sizing up as to whether you are worthy of their space based on your bike.
:evil:

I'm naturally a bit shy of making open comments to people as I ride by.

Out and about I overtake people on this:

norman_fay_redux1_580.jpg

because people have been riding off-road on drops for about as long as the bike has been invented

I am now ready to hunt down and take on anyone on this:

nishiki_cascade_lets_off_road_lindsey_116.jpg

Obviously neither are suitable for absolute balls out stuff but I can ride them on most trails no probs.

This way, I can be seen as an eccentric wild haired loon and comments are kept to a minimum as this clearly shows its all about the bloody rider not the fackin' bike!

Just ignore them, they'll soon learn when they get fat from their desk job and kids

Anyone get annoyed at sweeping statements?

I ride modern & retro, hell I just ride bikes.

Just because some modern bike riders look at your bikes funny & make comments doesn't mean that all of them see it that way.

Some folks are tossers, some aren't, c'est la vie.

Oh & LGF, you forgot to mention 'The big ring Chino incident' on the Lincoln ride a while ago ;)

Andy B":27lzr9jg said:
Anyone get annoyed at sweeping statements?

I ride modern & retro, hell I just ride bikes.

Just because some modern bike riders look at your bikes funny & make comments doesn't mean that all of them see it that way.

Some folks are tossers, some aren't, c'est la vie.

Oh & LGF, you forgot to mention 'The big ring Chino incident' on the Lincoln ride a while ago ;)

yes, jeans, big ring and drops seemed to wind somebody up....

****edit**** your 'modern' Orange creaked a lot, was heavy and couldnt go very fast.... ;) :LOL:

Back