erractic idling Subaru Impreza

Re:

Italian tune up = sustained driving at higher revs, 20 minutes or so on the motorway in 3rd gear, for example. (AKA ramping the nuts off it)

Re: Re:

grahame":1fvck3hy said:
Italian tune up = sustained driving at higher revs, 20 minutes or so on the motorway in 3rd gear, for example. (AKA ramping the nuts off it)

Ha ha ha...nope, haven't tried that!

Re:

Oddly our Transit is exhibiting a similar behaviour.

Well it will now and then settle at 1000/1350 rpm and if you blip it is stays the same, yet resets to 750 or so as soon as you have restarted, and occasionally after driving on a bit.

Guessing it is an easy fix, when I have time I will have a look but it doesn't bother us much as 90% of our driving is above those revs under power. Despite doing all the MOT work and such I have yet to give her a good service. Just the Italian before the MOT. Doesn't just sort out emissions, also sorted out a brake imbalance on the rear axle. (Linings were contaminated on one side so I drove it around sixty miles with lots of braking, spraying brake cleaner in on the shoes occasionally).

Back in the day we used to run a quart of diesel through the carbs on the air cooled VWs to clean everything. I really hate 'modern' vehicles!

Looking at this thread with interest, as I have a list of these things to do when I get our main Forester off the road over winter.

I had exactly the same problem on a Peugeot 306 2.0 XSi. The idling was incredibly erratic - fast and then very slow so that the ECU kept blipping the throttle to prevent stalling. It was always worse when cold. In the end it was one of the airflow sensors, but it took a lot of faffing about by the dealer to track it down.

I miss my 1980 Mini - then all you did was tiddle a little screw on the carb and give it a swig of redex every now and then.

Re:

Tried to give it the Italian Service today on my way to Weston SM.
4th gear getting close to red line I started hitting 115mph (on the clock)
Mmm...try third gear. Just over 80mph with more to come before hitting the red line.
Quite impressed with this old banger.
Steady as a rock, particularly the temp gauge
Problem unsolved. Boring :-(

I didn't think it would solve it, but it is a good crack! I drove out to Fort Bill and back today and my Transit is still sitting high now and then, I will have to look into it as it is like having cruise control set for 40 odds, not clever sitting in traffic on those windy roads!

highlandsflyer":2czxbs8b said:
I didn't think it would solve it, but it is a good crack! I drove out to Fort Bill and back today and my Transit is still sitting high now and then, I will have to look into it as it is like having cruise control set for 40 odds, not clever sitting in traffic on those windy roads!

True!

Back