erractic idling Subaru Impreza

Re: Re:

Harryburgundy":2peca6f2 said:
I have not checked plugs leads coil yet but I thought that would cause rough lumpy idle. My problem is that the engine will just hold the revs and tickover at a steady 1200 or 1500 or 2000 sometimes, as if I was depressing the accelerator.
Well that sounds like the IACV (given the other things you've checked so far).

Induction air leak would tend to be fairly consistent. As you say, iffy leads and / or plugs / coil, probably more stumbly at idle.

The only other thing to mention, and it's something I saw with very similar symptoms to what you're having, and no error codes available, was what I believe an electrical fault in either wiring or the TPS (throttle position sensor) which seemed to also have underbonnet heat as a factor.

When it idles at those speeds, does anything happen / change if you blip the throttle?

At the end of the day, on non-ETM cars, the factors that could be influencing idle speed, are either sticking butterfly (which you've checked), sticking throttle cable (typically not that difficult to change), sensor problem causing rich fuelling (which you'd expect to show up as some kind of out-of-band error), induction leak - which you'd expect to be pretty consistent and always present, sticking / knacked IACV, or some sensor (eg TPS) issue causing the ECU to think it needs to have the IACV open more, and as a consequence, upping the idle speed.

The IACVs that I've looked at, didn't have gaskets connecting them - they were plumbed via a couple of induction hoses. They were fairly easily removed, and reasonably easy to check whether they were sticking (how gummed up they were, and how freely the flap moved).

I've also removed throttles loads of times and reused the gasket between them and the inlet manifold - although I recognise it's good practice to replace.

Code readers and Select Monitor don't always show up failing solenoids and sensors :( Sounds like the ICVS to me having had one go on my 2002 Bug WRX .

Shaun

Re:

Have you checked the throttle cable? Is it snagged on anything? Is it adjusted too tight? There is a split pin at the intake end that clicks into grooves around the cable outer to lengthen/shorten the cable. A simple adjustment. Try it one groove shorter.
Is there anything impeding the pedal travel in the foot well?
All free stuff designed to make you feel a right Charlie!

Re:

Once again, thanks all. Will check those things. Lambda sensor has also been flagged up and as this is series one Impreza very possible that a failure would not show an error code?
But what do I know.
If, for example, I stop at lights and the idle is high, when I blip the throttle it climbs then settles back to where it was, high. Turn off and on and 9/10 returns to proper idle.
Must say cleaning what I have cleaned so far has brought the car back to life a bit, much better acceration and fuel consumption seems better although I have been a bit heavy with my right foot :)

Re: Re:

Harryburgundy":2bpezaha said:
Guessing this is the IACV?
If you mean the lower picture, I'd say that's a throttle position sensor.

I've had zero experience with Scooby engines, but I'd say the IACV is likely to be shown more clearly in the first picture, lower right bit.

Back