Eroica Britannia Moving to Friden Grange for 2017

Re:

I Agree with Robbied196
The first 2 were brilliant, this year was too big, too many queues at food stops etc. The "personality" was missing.
I doubt we'll be venturing down at all. Shame, it was my highlight. My original reason for riding a bike again.

I don't get the 'no profit' element at all. With 4500 entrants and income from the traders there must have been well over £100K in income (but I'm happy to be corrected if this is wide of the mark). I've obviously not seen a balance sheet but a friend of mine organises similar events and certainly does not make a loss. This is one of the main reasons why I wouldn't participate in the event even though it is relatively local.

Re:

I suspect income is way over £100k but the big unknown is the cost of the Bakewell show ground....
Personally, having attended all the previous ones, it's disappointing not to have the facilities of Bakewell on the doorstep - but they had to do something about the queues to get onto the site. Bakewell Show seems to attract similar visitor numbers (50k 'ish) so Eroica is not that unusual
Not sure heading into the wild yonder is the answer but it might get it back to being a smaller, focused festival

Ironically they are probably going to solve the "too many people" problem by making it so rubbish, no one wants to go anyway :)

Pionir":u52xubl7 said:
Ironically they are probably going to solve the "too many people" problem by making it so rubbish, no one wants to go anyway :)

I agree.

16 of us are off to France next year for Anjou Velo Vintage. We have rented a farmhouse and barn conversion with a pool in the grounds, close to a village and 5 miles from Saumur. It looks as if the overall cost will be about the same as this years Eroica Britannia head for head which was only three days as opposed to the week we are having in France. We will of course have an extra 400 miles of driving to do plus the extra fuel and ferry cost but looking to be better value to us.

We are riding the long route on the Saturday and then a nice social ride with the wives and lots of wine on the Sunday.

Do you know the 2017 dates then? I don't get this obsession with banning clipless pedals but setting a cut off at 1987. They should just do it at 1984! Do they enforce the no clipless pedals rules that strongly?

Assuming all 4,500 entrants are concessions, and only half take parking only (no camping at £120 or Motorhome parking at £75) the revenue is £240k before any sponsorship.

However, the parking, camping, motorhoming and tickets at both price sets are all sold out... So probably north of £300k fairly easily. And if you camp, you still need to pay parking in excess...

stevevw":3nsrv80v said:
Pionir":3nsrv80v said:

I agree.

16 of us are off to France next year for Anjou Velo Vintage. We have rented a farmhouse and barn conversion with a pool in the grounds, close to a village and 5 miles from Saumur. It looks as if the overall cost will be about the same as this years Eroica Britannia head for head which was only three days as opposed to the week we are having in France. We will of course have an extra 400 miles of driving to do plus the extra fuel and ferry cost but looking to be better value to us.

We are riding the long route on the Saturday and then a nice social ride with the wives and lots of wine on the Sunday.

I've been going to the AVV for a number of years, and stay with friends locally in their Maison d'Maitre with a pool, plenty of bike storage and accompanying us this year will be an ex-TdeF mechanic (he's riding too).

Riders are all friends, some are V-CC members - I do hope I don't hear too many British accents ! Our enjoyment of the Tour de France this year was spoilt by the yobbish, drunken behaviour of the British.

Driving there is a pleasure too.

Jon.

roadking":1mod05qx said:
... Our enjoyment of the Tour de France this year was spoilt by the yobbish, drunken behaviour of the British.
unlike those well behaved French bike race fans. Er ... just remind me, who was throwing urine and lashing out on the 2015 tour?

Back