Ernie Clements Build

SirLurkalot

Old School Hero
As mentioned I've got this 53cm Clements 531 frame. The plan is to swap the parts over from my Galaxy which at 60cm is way too big. Plus some possible upgrades. The frame is with my local bike repairers have a stubborn BB cup removed because I don't have the right tool.
I've discovered the BB is a Stronglight.

Pics show the state of the frame so it will be powder coated. I found a name on the rear dropout but am none the wiser. Does anyone recognise it and would that be a clue to where the frame was made?

Attachments

• 20230801_124141.jpg
    20230801_124141.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230801_124826.jpg
    20230801_124826.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230801_124817.jpg
    20230801_124817.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230728_191743(0).jpg
    20230728_191743(0).jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 20230728_191724.jpg
    20230728_191724.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 20230801_124400.jpg
    20230801_124400.jpg
    400.7 KB · Views: 36
it's an entire gipiemme lug set.
Raleigh lightweight race frames used them in the early 80's. has it got a serial number on the underside of the BB?

Falcon also used them. BB shell appears to have had some reworking which would move it away from the Raleigh option, but as they were building from scratch who knows.

Ernie Clements was building for Coventry Eagle (thus falcon too) and he used them too. I'd pin my hat on this.

heres a bit of back story from a galaxy far far away
Hi - I've got a couple of bikes from this factory, a 1982 Coventry Eagle Mixte Racer and a 1988 British Eagle Safari Mixte MTB, so I've been trying to dig out the story.

The best information that I have so far is that Ernie Clements (Olympic Silver Medal 194:cool: was working for Roberts Cycles in Birmingham, and wanted to build a new range of quality bikes. He found some old "Falcon" stickers and used them on the new bikes. Then when Coventry Eagle were looking for a better factory (theirs was bombed out), they bought the whole Roberts outfit, including Ernie Clements and the Falcon line. In due course they outgrew the Roberts factory and moved to Barton on Humber, in 1968, where "Falcon" became the dominant name, and Clements was in charge of production.

Unfortunately, none of the other Directors could work with Ernie Clements, so they bought him out, and he took the "Coventry Eagle" brand name in part payment, in 1978. Up to this point, the Falcon head badge included Ernie Clement's name, but changed after the split.

Ernie then persuaded the Welsh Development Agency to get him a new factory in Newtown (where there were skilled bike builders from the old Phillips "Lion" factory at the other end of town). From 1980 he was building good bikes there as "Coventry Eagle", "Ernie Clements" and some for "Barry Hoban". But apparently Ernie had a liking for a lifestyle with expensive cars, and by 1983 his business was virtually broke. The head badge on Coventry Eagles from this factory is a white circular sticker with a garish gold eagle.

Somehow, Ernie persuaded Barry Hoban (another very successful racer and Tour de France winner) to take over the business in 1985. Barry's new business (in the same Newtown factory) was called "British Eagle Cycles Ltd", and built "British Eagle" and "Coventry Eagle" bikes - some were very good, such as the BE "Touristique" - a rival to the Dawes "Galaxy". Some others looked good but were decidedly wonky - like my BE Safari mixte: frame out of line, rear wheel wrongly dished, wrong BB etc.... As delivered, the two wheels left two separate tracks! (Sorted now....)

Ernie Clements left and opened a bike shop in Bromyard.

Barry Hoban's business succumbed to the falling market and by 1990 was sold to the Townsend group, who also bought up the Falcon trading name, plus Claud Butler, Dawes, and many others.

"British Eagle Cycles Ltd" were then re-branded as the very similar "British Eagle Cycles Company Ltd", and soon left Newtown. As a result, questions were asked in Parliament about how much State money had gone into the factory!

Townsend principally imported bikes and components from the far east, and continued to sell all these brands, but on the cheap bikes that they imported, and still do today as the Tandem group.

As I say, this is the story as I have it so far - but any further info or updates are always very welcome!

So far as the original poster's bike is concerned (it's very nice!) - there's a chance that the forks are by Tange - in which case the date is stamped on the stem - eg "82" for 1982. Worth a look!

taken from this thread

it's an entire gipiemme lug set.
Raleigh lightweight race frames used them in the early 80's. has it got a serial number on the underside of the BB?

Falcon also used them. BB shell appears to have had some reworking which would move it away from the Raleigh option, but as they were building from scratch who knows.

Ernie Clements was building for Coventry Eagle (thus falcon too) and he used them too. I'd pin my hat on this.

heres a bit of back story from a galaxy far far away

taken from this thread

There's no serial number anywhere on the frame. That's what made me wonder if it's a generic Tawain frame. The Reynolds decals date it from 1982 to 1989. It would be good if it was something more exotic made in Europe, but I doubt it. At least it is Reynolds 531 Frame and Forks with some nice lugs.

After some struggling last night - not helped by the Gipiemme web site listing a number of postal addresses AND mis-spelling town names - I eventually tracked down the Gipiemme factory. Judging from the state of the physical site (which is bad even for Italy) and looking at the current catalogue I suspect that the company now just sells Far Eastern products labelled as own brand.

The powder coaters are super busy so I won't have the frame back until next week at the earliest. In the meantime seeing as I was a Graphic Designer in a former life I thought I'd have a bash at recreating the logos. Still need some tweaking.

Originally I wasn't going to bother and just either leave them off or use the old style from H Llyods.

Does anyone know the cost of having them printed?

Attachments

• Ernie Clements Logo PDF.jpg
    Ernie Clements Logo PDF.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 6
Back