English Cycles and Jeremy Torr

Jeremy Torr & scandolous lies - lol

Jeremy and I were actually better friends than some made out. He and I collaborated on one of the earliest range of mountain bikes in the UK. Geoff Apps says I was a bit upset with Jeremy's cavalier attitude to geometry and braising technique. Well that is true. Still he was a nice bloke. I'm not sunning it on an Aussie beach - he is. He migrated to Australia, my home country and I'm still here. Now that is ironic.

Great thread loving the history lesson.

Why o why did the Brits stop using Drum brakes?

Cantilever brakes in the British weather make no sense.

I remember been very envious of Frank Hutton (Northumbrian Bikes RIP), he had a set on his custom made frame. I remember riding in Kidland forest, it was extremely muddy and Frank demonstrating how good his brakes were.

toons":113wrter said:
Why o why did the Brits stop using Drum brakes?

Cantilever brakes in the British weather make no sense.

All the hub brakes went to Holand. Sturmey Archer rejected David Wrath-Sharmans 'no fade' hub brakes in favour of their old design that fade as the brake shoes wear. Disk brakes came along (ie. a lightweight, high maintaiance and open to the elements form of hub brake).

Today apart from some custom made Wrath-Sharman brakes the best hub brakes are Shimano Nexave Rollerbrakes. They normally come fitted to hybrid bikes though Geoff Apps fitted them to his 2006 Aventura ll and I'm using them for a new full suspension Cleland that I'am designing/building with Geoff's help.

Photo= Modern, Wrath-Sharman/Highpath hub brakes

Attachments

• swingcam350.jpg
    swingcam350.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,413
GrahamJohnWallace":zebzvv80 said:
I'm using them for a new full suspension Cleland that I'am designing/building with Geoff's help.

This sounds interesting project, do you have any more info\photos of the bike?
Cheers
James

The work is ongoing. The idea is to bring Geoff's original Cleland concept for a trials capable ATB that is also suitable for touring, bang up to date.
The problem is that suspension can make 'technical riding' difficult if not impossible, but I have found a way around this. The bike also has many interesting features including an easily adjustable riding position, from bolt upright to streched out.

When finished it will appear on the Cleland website as this is not a forum for new designs.

Back