early Simplon

fukujama

Retro Newbie
Hi,
this was the second freebie I was given lately. As we know Austrian company Simplon is still around, to me this one looks late 80s. I originally planned to pass on the frame and use the parts for something else. Only when stripping it down I realized it had semi-horizontal dropouts, so naturally it had to stay. The tubing sticker said "Vitus Stone - Manganese Vanadium", whatever funny sounding kind of steel that is. It had full Deore with thumbies and triple Biopace SG crankset.
I couldn't use the planned 18t rear cog due to chain length issues. In the photo it's fitted with a 16t I used for a test ride, not so good for my knees and so a 20t is on its way.

Attachments

• Simplon_Nevada_XT.jpg
    Simplon_Nevada_XT.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 555
Re:

Thanks, agreed on both, though I actually like the saddle, it's an Italian made Iscaselle that looks like a good fit, maybe even stock. Agree on the tyres, too. The Big Bens in 2.15in sat here unused and untried, functionally they're great and ideal for 99% for what this bike will see - road and light gravel. When buying new I would even go for 2.35 as the rims are ridiculously wide and the clearance is there. Aesthetically Schwalbe's reflex ring is not the first choice for any vintage bike and it's a pity they don't offer a version without it, like Conti did with their Sport Contact. Can you recommend tyres with moderate tread?

Re:

I'm sorry I thought for a moment I read it was a freebie!

That is lovely in every way and even a proper size too.

al. :cool:

Re:

I guess it's just a personal choice but I'd probably go for panaracer pasela or Specialized crossroads, maybe slightly thinner too if you're thinking of gravel/road though the wide rims might limit your choice. I'm using irc semi slick which are great if your more on gravel than road

Re:

Thanks guys,
the frame is indeed on the large size for my just below 180cm (52cm seat tube with 54cm TT) but makes for a very comfortable ride. As for skinwall tyres I found Maxxis DTH and Compass Rat Trap in 26", but after digging out some old Ritchey Tom Slicks from the basement for reference I decided to leave the yellow frame alone colourwise ;-) Thanks for the hint to the Paselas, though they seem to top out at 1.75in in 26" they might be the perfect choice for the next project which I hope to present soon - which will finally be the one out of the 3 bikes I got from the same donour lately that I actually had to pay for :D

Back