Early 90's GIANT Escaper

Sounds right that, I got mine robbed. Still gutted about that now, even found it being dismantled in someone's back garden but the police did next to nothing and the shitbags got away with it.

Can of Coke":1d215ktt said:
Sounds right that, I got mine robbed. Still gutted about that now, even found it being dismantled in someone's back garden but the police did next to nothing and the shitbags got away with it.

Well thats crap you saw it being dismantled and the police did nothing!!! like giving permission to steal that....

I posted a thread the other day about giants.......Ive posted the pics of my escaper on that rather than do it twice, the link is here

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=222157

Let me know what you think pal and how it compared to yours ;)

lrh":2ye5aglq said:
Looks like yours has lost it's original rear mech, shifters/levers, and chainrings. Only the cheapo shifters/levers from much later look out of place though.

This is an original one except for the stem/handlebars in the first pic:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79568674@N04/7120842475/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/79568674@N04/6974760816/

Thanks for that reply, I'm trying to find out about originality of mine, cant find an escaper brochure anywhere

My shifters are diff from original then? I dunno how to tell, tbh the bike rides great, its also very quick too without hardly an any effort, I can launch it off the mark to 30mph nealry as quick as my car, ive tried it the other day,compared to a few other bikes I have access to even much newer ones my bikes slaughters them completely, I can do a 20 mile cross country blast on this and not really feel much effort yet on other i can be aching all over on the same route!!!

What was the original gearing set up and the 3 chain ring ratios? Mines shimano deore LX, it works great for me and shifts miles faster than my stonebreaker which is a good bikes but feels cumbersome to the escape, I'm more confident throwing the escape around than I am on the stonebreaker but they are 2 completely diff types of bikes

Doesn't look too bad, I can't really remember the spec. I think the shifters and levers were DX Sti units. Can't remember chainset or reap mech. Rims were def black araya cv7 though. It was a lovely bike bitd, got a 93 Cindercone after that though which I reckon is still the ultimate 'retro' bike simply because of how it looks. The Giant was nice though, the forks were interesting and the colour was lush.

wowtimmo":3bal4i3r said:
My shifters are diff from original then?...

What was the original gearing set up and the 3 chain ring ratios?
Yes those shifters are low-end Acera/Altus ones and appeared around 1998. Maybe they work well but they look a bit naff to me ;)

I bought a Deore LX chainset around 91/92 and it was 46/36/26 teeth, which I think was the most popular size at the time.

Don't think I'd worry too much about originality, it's not a mega valuable bike. Finding Deore DX shifters and black chainrings in good nick will probably cost £60+, probably more than the bike cost you in the first place!

Here is mine just bought for arround 60 ₤:

3764148896_5

Not original stem:

3764148896_4

Could anybody give me an actual pic. of the original kalloy stem?

Thanks a lot.

Regards for all.

Andrew.

Back