Early 80s Dawes Lightning rolling resto

Re: Dawes Liggtning

I was 15 back in 1982, my mum had a part time job working in our local bike shop in Bamber Bridge, near Preston. Me and my brothers had been riding around for a number of years on some old single gear bikes my dad had bought second hand, stripped and repainted etc. By 1982 they were very very tired. The shop owner did us a deal. I saw a lovely Dawes Lightning, 10 gears in a two tone green, the paint scheme was called sunburst green. Unfortunately the fram size was a little too big for me at the time. There was no mention of possibly ordering the riggt size for me, if only!! Instead I was ushered towards a 5 speed Dawes Lightning in my size, but it was in the two tone sunburst blue instead. I still loved my lightning, sadly my mum died later in 1982, so my lightning became even more special. I trecked all over the countryside on it often out to Blackpool or Southport on day trips. I bought and fitted a rear pannier rack to it. Sadly when I went to Uni in Salford ot was stolen around 1986, as usual the police were less than useless. Around 2000, I was in the market for a new bike and eager to kindle old memories I got a Dawes Galaxy from Bicycle Doctor in Manchester, I still ride it to this day.

Hello Marge602. Years late I know but I have a Dawes Lightning in my garage and have just taken it down to give it a refurb. I bought it new on 31st July 1982 for £129 including some extras. It is the two tone blue version, a 10 gear, 21 inch frame. I only did about 200 miles on it. No is SA 7340. Drop handlebars, derailleur gear system. Weinman brakes. I bought it with an upgraded saddle, from memory.

Back