DREAM BIKES

I do have a kind of shortlist for cars, but never thought of bikes. I did now.

1 H-Ball specced Miyata Elev12k
2 Wicked, Yo Eddy or Ti Fat Chance
3 Yeti ARC LT with all the goodies

Also Cool in my perception and worth mentioning:
- every decent built heavy duty steel bike (FRO, Grove HC, Extreme)
- the weird Ibis Szazbo
- an old Müsing
- Peugeot TeamLine, like the Taillefer KL5000 - somebody considered such a bike? Guess not. Never see them in real life and/or pop up on forums.

...and of course I like much more bikes, but those are the known options

BTW for cars my list should look like this:

1 Bugatti T35
2 a Bristol
3 Jensen FF
4 Maserati 450SS
5 Frank Stella BMW CSL
6 SAAB 92
7 Mercedes Benz w110/w111 Coupe & Convertible
8 Tatra 87
9 Masers, Moteverdis, not a specific one
10 Renault Avantime or SAAB 900T16S for bike transport

Oooh, I'll jump in on this topic...

Narrowing the retro list down to three is a bit difficult, but if I let my fancy to right now it would be...

1.) Grove Innovations Ti X-frame...started to build one up in '95 but couldn't source the 2" boom tube in anything but CP Ti, never finished. Could be a future project, hmmm...

2.) Trimble carbon inverted 4 ...beautiful lines, looong top tube, and a ride that makes you moan "smooooth".

3.) Mountain Goat Deluxe...Jeff had a way with sculpting these frames so they made you want to caress the tubes, admire the artistic gussets on the headtube, and smile big at the anything but usual paint.

I can think of a few others that hold sentimental value and would like to have in the corral...

- Fat Chance Yo...classic east coast single track, just picked up
- Ibis Cousin It tandem...nothing spectacular, just clean workmanship
- Steve Potts...very nice fillet brazing with classic, understated lines
- Merlin Newsboy...great tribute to the rides of the past with modern performance

And that folks is the problem with bike lust...you can only ride one at a time.

cheers,

rody

"And that folks is the problem with bike lust...you can only ride one at a time"

hmm, thats kinda like telling a women she only needs 1 pair of shoes & 1 handbag instead of the 30 of each!... hahaha :D

I have at some point owned 2 of my most wanteds, but for some reason............ I dont have them anymore :cry:

so here they are ➡️

1..........Saracen trekker comp (89-90), green, double U brake, deore groupset.
2..........Gt karakoram Elite (91), midnight sky, full DX groupset.

3..........Trimble Inverse, in that lovely black with orange spot, U brake rear , full XT.

Ill let you guess which one I never got around to affording :?:

Attachments

• Publication1.jpg
    Publication1.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 4,514
the trimbles that were recently on ebay.com, but were then pulled. I know 1 person who had a 3$K snipe lined up.. kerching! .. so I'll guess the trimble? :)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
retrobikeguy

The Saracen and GT are very nice rides. Trimble.....well that's OK.
Used to quite fancy one of those green Saracens myself. Back when they were still highly desireable.
As for the GT, well I still have my 1991 GT Karakoram frameset. It's the red one though.

Elev12K,

seriously eclectic collection of automobiles there. Matches your taste in bicycles :D

For Scant and the adroit lovers out there...

Attachments

• Tinker's%20Klein%202.jpg
    Tinker's%20Klein%202.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 2,802
dreaming

Saracen Trekker !!! My first ever mtb, 1988 model in a pale blue colour that we used to pretend was 'Yeti blue' (it wasn't)... so no 1.

1. YETI FRO or ULTIMATE (in blue)

Stumpjumper Team (1991) , my 2nd mtb, saw a shift in taste to something lighter & more agile so when in 1992 the...

2. FAT Chance 10th Anniversary (with full Campag Record OR)

was produced & reviewed in MBA that became, and remains my most sought after bike.

Other honourable mentions: Specialized Epic / Merlin E-stay softtail with bizarre ti Girder fork (and lots of handmade WTB componenets) / & lastly a WTB Phoenix...

Written earlier this year this list would have included my other all time no 1. fave, a FAT ti , but have managed to get one of those now...

Top three dream bikes?

Well from the golden oldy age, in no order of preference has to be..

1) Ellison E-Stay. A special frame at the time - just looked loverly

2) Salsa A la Carte in Jellybean. I SO still want one.

3) Kelin Attidue in the green/white/pink fade. Always wanted one. A classic with some nice features

If anyone hears of 2 or 3 for sale, please let me know!! 1 aint gonna happen.

Back