Don't Be Ashamed. Let Your Geek Flag Fly! ('Puter Content)

highlandsflyer

Retro Wizard
Feedback
View
Just did a round of upgrading PCs and such.

Got into a discussion with my nephew and he wanted to know what influenced my choices over the years.

Firstly I explained back in the day there were very few choices. Whatever you could afford!

Then I recounted my experiences trying to get various CAD, etc. apps to run quick, and the first dedicated and powerful graphics cards, etc.

Doom and such were discussed.

Finally I reached a realisation that the current crop of processors do everything I need and more, 16 gigs of ram works for most things. One SS drive and an array of fast SATA sorts my speed issues and redundancy is covered over the network to a server hooked up to an ups.

Cheap as chips too, relatively.

Just finished putting together a home theatre pc using a totally silent solution, all passive cooler, psu, gpu, mainboard and ssds. Less than £800 all in. Incredible, as it can also play all the latest games, etc.

So now I am considering retiring my old quad core warhorse and moving onto a totally silent i7 system, a one for all solution.

And now I spend more and more time using smaller screens I have bumped the 24" over to my daughter and moved back to one of my Apple displays with finer dot pitch for colour work. It seems I am wilfully 'downgrading' as my needs decrease relatively.

My point generally is that unless you are gaming or doing hefty work PCs are becoming very much like video recorders.

Just another consumer item.

Buy it, use it for three to five years and bin it.

Very soon it will be economical to build in that 3-5 year redundancy, in a unit that will perform to the expectations and delight of 90% of the population.

This could well be the death knell of the cutting edge in computing.

Am I wrong?

PC's have always been expendable. PArt of that is peoples lack of ability to maintain them in terms of cleans, defragging etc.

Beyond that I can't comment as I'm an Apple user.

I remember at school doing computer studies..they were the size of wardrobes and we used to have to programme them by using a machine that punched small rectangular holes in a cream coloured rectangular cards

since then we have had virus's, identity theft, twitter and...facebook

I don't see much improvement

I can remember congregating in the maths cupboard after school to play games that were all text driven.

I would not swap that direct experience of the evolution of the domestic computer for all the tea in China.

We were all our own private Astronauts. This was our space race.

We all played a part. We are all veterans.

:)

highlandsflyer":1wiappuo said:
Apples are PCs.

:)

True in the same way a Dyson is a Hoover. It's all semantics innit?

I should have said I don't use IBM format computers.

Latest posts

Back