Does reducing travel reduce a to c

Re: Re:

Harryburgundy":398kmdhs said:
Ah...good point. They are Rockshox SID RTL Ti forks.

Yes it will reduce the A-C by however much you reduce the travel. You reduce the travel by increasing the length of the negative spring (air spring).

FluffyChicken":39un7lvn said:
fjpshaw":39un7lvn said:
No, it shouldn't cause damage to the cartridge, but (and I am thinking about Bombers as I say this) installing an 80mm effective travel spring on to a Z1 rebound cartridge designed for a 100mm travel spring, means the 'top' 20mm stroke of that cartridge is now redundant. If the fork was to become fully extended for some reason (e.g. a jump, or drop off), then the rebound cartridge is free to extend beyond the maximum extension of the spring. Upon recompression, there would be a jarring down to the point where the spring comes back into play.

Thinking about it, the timescales involved between drop off and landing are probably small enough (certainly in my case! :LOL:) that the cartridge wouldn't fully over-extend, however, i just dont think it is an ideal setup.

But you don't just switch springs. If a set is designed to be reduced then there will be spacers at the damping end to move around.
You never just switch to shorter springs.
I don't deny any of that, hence my hesitation in my first post over simply switching springs without any kind of spacer.

Having never seen or used one of the RS spacer kits, I'm still not sure how they manage to reduce a2c (to my mind, 100m = 0mm spacer is equal to 80mm + 20mm spacer), but the masses have spoken and it seems there are plenty on here (and other forums) who say they do - so who am I to argue! :LOL:

Glad the OP got it sorted though.

Re:

You place it in a different place, often in older forks somewhere in the damper part that limits it rebound distance

Popped the forks into Muddybum Cycles, my lbs, who have the spacers to reduce to 80mm. Happy days. My modest build will be ready soon!

Back