Dodgy Ebay Sellers

bugloss":2copvmlt said:
There's ways around the bad feedback rating.

The shower I bought a bike from in Italy wiped out the bad rating percentage from my feedback by selling themselves loads of stuff for 50 cents a piece. Of course the rating and feedback comments they gave themselves were full of good praise about how smashing they were.

You've got to be really careful dealing on Ebay as it's a liars charter and it's your money you're spending.

Of course not all sellers are bad, but I've had a high percentage of crap ones.

This practice is known as Astroturfing and if practiced by a UK seller they can be prosecuted for fraud by Trading Standards. Not a lot know this but TS have bitten a few. You will also probably find it illegal in most EU countries too.

Carl.

Astroturfing, how did it get that name ?

It's very common and I can't imagine every one doing it gets caught.

bugloss":1l88hxgz said:
Astroturfing, how did it get that name ?

It's very common and I can't imagine every one doing it gets caught.

No idea, I came across it a few weeks ago when I was researching a conveyancing firm my house sellers were using (they were utterly hopeless and liars to boot) and found that the reviews that were posted online all used the same descriptions and format, they even had the same spelling mistakes like they were all written by the same person or people. I then googled false online reviews and found out about the practice we all know happens but also found an article on outlaw http://www.out-law.com/page-12016 that described how and why it was illegal.

Carl.

frank.youngman":2yhftj8k said:
To help me with this it has emailed me a prepaid by Ebay parcelforce address label,something I have never heard of before.At least I now have the name and address of the seller and can return the shifters.

Did the same for me when I had to return a set of RaceFace cranks because one of the tapers were knackered and not mentioned.

As bugloss says you'll get your refund OK, I was told that even if the seller refused or made sure he was not in when delivery was attempted, I'd still get my refund as soon as ParcelForce let them know.

I also took pics of my packing just in case seller said it was damaged because I'd packed it badly, as he had claimed all along I'd damaged the taper. Didn't want to give him any wriggle room.

I am a regliar buyer and occasional seller. I love it! Especially when I have been drinking, as is the case this fine evening. So sell me something big boy!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Six foot two eyes of blue, so too small. Actually six foot three but doesn't rhyme.

Ive got a potential :LOL: Probably lurks on here and the other forums

Story goes-
I was selling a hope trials caliper a few months ago and got a message from an ebayer asking if i would ship it abroad.
No says i and wondering why anyone other than UK would see it as it have the exclusions on
But no says I.
Auction ends and its won by some guy that had joined ebay that very day and had zero feedback.
Im just about to write the address on the jiffy when i think its a little odd so i google it.
Comes back as a shipping company who according to the details given to me by the buyer comes back as being from the original guy that emailed me in the first place so what he did was formed another ebay user,listed as being in the UK :shock:
He really wants this caliper. But he isnt getting it because im now convinced its a scam and my caliper would go walkabout somewhere in eastern EU and being outwith the original postal service(royal mail) id be snookered trying to cross language barriers trying to track it down
Im probably have to refund him then sue this shipping-on company for the item cost and as he was the user of that theres no guarantee it had tracking or insurance :? or that they would deal with me

I decided not to send it, but also to ignore any correspondence from him so he would have to wait the maximum time and use ebay/paypal to get his money back.

Ebay were informed of this attempted sneaky circumnavigation and i mailed them again to follow it up and make doubly sure they understood the full connotations as to was was being attempted.
Ebay assured me that they fully understood and that action was taken though they noted that they couldnt say what that action was.
I left it at that.

A few months have passed and ive relisted it. As spares or repairs

Ahh, a query about it :D

HE'S BACK :shock: :shock:

Telling me i could list it under Used instead of spares/repairs
I tell him where to go and how to get there
He mails back asking why im upset, he was only trying to help.

:LOL: The may be trouble ahead

For all your info and to maybe avoid this weirdo but from experience he doesnt accept no for an answer
If anything im selling at the mo goes to anyone new or to a non domestic adress it isnt being sent and thats that.

Can i automatically block someone with lower than 10 feedback? In an attempt to prevent this clown forming a new user name ?

Back