Do we have a cycling mueseum here in the UK?

Coventry car museum have a few and lots of nice cars to look at too, they have different exhibitions on all the time too (worth checking their site) best of all it's free and a great day out, been there a couple of times now.

I used to live in Llandrindod Wells and I went to the opening of the National Cycle Museum there. They used to have a gorgeous Delta V in the top window, and one of Barrie Clarke's Raleighs on the wall inside (IIRC it was very similar to one which was sold on this very forum not so long ago).

The guy who ran the museum (David Higman) was a volunteer and used to travel from Oswestry every day (about 50-60 miles each way).

I'll never forget him telling me that I couldn't afford the Delta V even if he wanted to sell it (bear in mind that this was in 1997, so it was only about 5 years old at the time - hardly what you'd call a retro classic). The look on his face when he saw me unlock my Klein Attitude from outside the museum was memorable ;)

so there lots of little place all over the country doing different things but nothing you could class as a UK Mountain bike / hall of fame type place. A one stop shop of garage queens. shame.

Back