Do Retro MTB enthusiasts ride new bikes, too?

Re:

I have a 2012 giant full sus, hate it, never ride it.
My regular go to bike is my 94 Bontrager.
I have built a retro mod kona, but only ridden it twice.

Re:

Yep, although my "new" bike is now 4 years old. Depends on the definition of New really. I personally only class retro as pre '98. However I'd hardly class a bike built in 2001 as new!

Symantics though really. I have a Lapierre Spicy which is a 160mm travel bike that chews up the bumpy stuff. It's all very nice but I rarely use it around my local trails as for XC it's too big and bouncy and heavy.

If I arrange trips to Wales or some of the bigger trail centres, I never take the retro bike(s). Would cripple me and frankly I have more fun on the downhills on my modern bike.

I'm not precious, I'll ride whatever bike works for me for the type of riding I do. I love riding old steel frames but I also love disc brakes!

I ride generally from my back door. I tried a full susser, frankly it's complete overkill for where I live and while phenomenally competent it made rides a little dull. It mashed its way over everything and was sublimely forgiving. Yawn.

So I'm back on my retros as they are more fun, if less competent. If I lived in the Peak District it might well be a different story. I loathe even the idea of trail centres, would rather ride distances, explore and see the wildlife rather than dress up like a power ranger and pretend to be 'rad'...

hamster":34prie9t said:
I loathe even the idea of trail centres, would rather ride distances, explore and see the wildlife rather than dress up like a power ranger and pretend to be 'rad'...

I saw a couple of guys in full face helmets, body armour etc at my local XC trails the other day. Cracked me up, they looked ridiculous. I like trail centres but they get busy and whilst the trails are nice enough, unless they are huge like Afan, it all gets a bit crowded.

I probably ride my '96 Explosif the most, from XC to evening rides around local bridle paths and footpaths (don't tell anyone).

I also use a '95 Hahanna to commute daily.

But do have 100mm and 150mm full sus fairly modern bikes for rougher stuff. Decent discs and suspension are excellent aids for an elderly body.

Tom79":hm65ai4a said:
hamster":hm65ai4a said:
I loathe even the idea of trail centres, would rather ride distances, explore and see the wildlife rather than dress up like a power ranger and pretend to be 'rad'...

I saw a couple of guys in full face helmets, body armour etc at my local XC trails the other day. Cracked me up, they looked ridiculous. I like trail centres but they get busy and whilst the trails are nice enough, unless they are huge like Afan, it all gets a bit crowded.

"Power Rangers!" Like it. I'd like to try a trail centre just once for the entertainment though but I'd probably get thoroughly hacked off with the long lines of rad downhillers in a rush to shreddin' it up. Being on the edge of North London I'm not likely to.

I like exploring and finding my own trails. Occasionally, I have to go and pick up chicken supplies and have worked out a route away from traffic that takes in fields, woods, forest, with some hard climbs and fast descents. In the forest section, I stumbled across a mini homage to North Shore that had been built in the middle of it. Great fun when you've got a 5kg bag super mixed corn in your back pack :facepalm:

I'm sure modern specced full sussers are very competent and all that but they're probably very forgiving of, ahem, 'rider style'. I'd much prefer the responsiveness of my retro combined with the riding experience I've built up on it over the years.

Re: Re:

groovyblueshed":3hc0yj93 said:
New is mahoosively over priced – shouldn't need to go on a finance plan to buy a bike.

Has always been this way. Plenty of finance offers bitd. ;)

Modern for me with a 2014 full suss 29er and 2007 26" hard tail.

Retro is saved for looking at, pottering in the garage with and the occasional ride.

Re:

There have been times when I've tempted to sell my soul and get a modern bike but I wouldn't go for a fully bouncing Power Ranger's bike – if I wanted something that looked ready for the Redbull X-Fighters tour, I'd buy a motorbike. I'd go for a really nice/crafted steel hard tail frame with the sensibilities of retro simplicity and elegance. May be 29er, possibly bouncy forks, if feeling flush. I'd avoid the modern group sets though and custom spec it.

hamster":2det46i1 said:
I ride generally from my back door. I tried a full susser, frankly it's complete overkill for where I live and while phenomenally competent it made rides a little dull. It mashed its way over everything and was sublimely forgiving. Yawn.

So I'm back on my retros as they are more fun, if less competent. If I lived in the Peak District it might well be a different story. I loathe even the idea of trail centres, would rather ride distances, explore and see the wildlife rather than dress up like a power ranger and pretend to be 'rad'...

This is the thing ,where I live full suss bikes are overkill again.Even the Quantocks are fine on hardtails with bigger tyres.

I've just finished my Xizang with modern x2 10 gearing and the last incarnation xtr v brakes.All modern kit that works better than M900 but just love riding that frame and would never sell it.

Back