Do Retro MTB enthusiasts ride new bikes, too?

Re:

Love the 30's Rudge Whitworth :cool: I'm slowly building up a Shockabilly, my first full susser. Not much travel by modern standards but if the experience blows me away I may cull the heard and get a Santa Cruz.
The market is flooded with bikes only a few years old, presumably with loose pivots, knackered shocks etc, all going cheap or remaining unsold as the owner refuses to take a massive hit.

26er":1wlclrz7 said:
Have modern cyclists gotten weaker since the chainrings are half the size now cmp to what they used to be... ?

Indeed. All you need is a 50t ring with a 34/11 cassette and a flagon of coffee!

And I guess the Rudge would build up a fair rate of knots on the downhills – question is, would those brakes work though?

Attachments

• give me coffee.jpg
    give me coffee.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 385
I sort of have modern bikes i bought new, a 2003 Cdale Jekyll with lefty and then a 2009 Kinesis I built up using the 3 yr old xtr from my cracked Scott scale. Although they are 26 inch wheeled and look oldnow, they have fantastic suspension and brakes.

I enjoy my old bikes much more though, and the bonus is, I get faster on the new stuff with the practice.

26er":34nd17ml said:
Now that looks like a proper chain ring! :D

I was in Helfrauds(Halfords) a couple of months ago, and they had some top end bike up on shoulder height display.
I attempted to make a joke with the bearded weirdo working there, how I thought the chainring was meant to be big and the cog small where this had the XXL add on super low cog with looked way bigger than tiny 34 chainring

He replied with " That's because that's a true mountainbike "

:facepalm: :LOL: :LOL:

He said it in a haughty-taughty manner too :LOL: :facepalm:

dyna-ti":26tz5uyv said:
26er":26tz5uyv said:
Now that looks like a proper chain ring! :D

I was in Helfrauds(Halfords) a couple of months ago, and they had some top end bike up on shoulder height display.
I attempted to make a joke with the bearded weirdo working there, how I thought the chainring was meant to be big and the cog small where this had the XXL add on super low cog with looked way bigger than tiny 34 chainring

He replied with " That's because that's a true mountainbike "

:facepalm: :LOL: :LOL:

He said it in a haughty-taughty manner too :LOL: :facepalm:

:facepalm: Sounds a laughingly familiar tale from Halfords. What he needs is a tiny Onza Buzzsaw up the front and a 50t up the rear – that would learn 'em...

Hipsters have not reached Halfords yet (they're either waxing their beards in the bike boutiques/barista bars or riding like complete twats). The Halfords gimps generally have no clue and are easily confused. Yes, I know I'm being harsh but empirical testing backs this up. I've saved work colleagues from stupendously hefty bills for unnecessary work in Halfords. One time, someone phoned me from in there – the predicted cost of about £18 max had risen to £300ish.

Check out the cereal killers and friends in this link – I'm stroking my beard ruefully...

http://www.dailyedge.ie/get-in-the-sea-2132328-May2015/

Re:

My newest bike is sixteen years old...

al.

Attachments

• Picture091-2.jpg
    Picture091-2.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 337
Too busy grinding their knarls or some such rad, stoked, I'm sorry I've lost the will.....

Re:

The irony of progress...that Rudge generates electricity for luminare to be self contained and efficient 24/7 ....... todays modern needs a battery to change gear, and power the data logger so said bearded gimp in Halfords doesn't need to be mentally or physically taxed to melt down point because a brake block isn't toed in.

Back