Flat pedal choice help

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Due to being indecisive, I've got more pedals than is sensible. I've got a build going on and can't decide which pedals to use, hoping for some advice on the best from my bunch of flats.

Xt (8000 series I think)
Exotic (alloy, current crop)
Nuke proof composite (neutron I think).

The last 2 are new, xts are lightly used.

Bike is wearing xt 1x11 with ethirteen carbon cranks.

All are black.

I have size 10 feet. Riding will be xc but some road probably.

I could pinch some crank bros stamp 3s from my gravel bike, but it's built and rides nicely as is.

Probably not helpful, but if it were me I'd have alloy ones in some colour that contrasts with the black cranks. I have a bit of a weakness for anodised alu - my most recent build has little accents of blue all over.

If your choices are all black, I can't see that it makes a lot of difference which you choose. Which might be why you can't decide 😄

I can't really comment on the first 2, but I've gone for a nukeproof theme on my ebike, with the neutron composite pedals. I must admit for a budget pedal they're good. I still think a wellgo mg1 (run these on other bikes) is verging on one of the best pedals I've ridden, but the nukeproof looks great, has great grip, is a nice large platform etc Although I have to agree with jimk above, a shiny black alloy might look better?

Xt on the right, nukeproof on the left.

Hope that helps.

Maybe meant as a joke, but it’s actually a really good idea. Flat pedal preference boils down to shoe choice, preferred foot placement etc. My riding buddies and I totally disagree on what’s best.

I used to like DMR Vaults but after a winter of using V8s I’m struggling to get used to the larger platform again.

It’s not like you’re stuck with a choice, just try them all out on the same route.

There is always some truth within a joke. But the red and blue pedals on my pub bike are just for fun.

I like the look of the XT, since that is part of the drivetrain I would go with that

I just bought some V8's and they are extremely nice.

Oops, forgot that I have nuke proof options. Green, bought as a match with some grips also in green to allow me to add a bit of colour (not that this build needs it, it's bright green, with green forks). Have a set in blue with matching grips as well, but they won't suit the build. And the black ones.

It's not about the colours really, more about the pedal quality, longevity and how it is in use. I've not really ridden many flat pedals, just the stamp 3s and also 50/50s, but not anything else since the naughties when I moved to clipless.

If you fancy a change HOPE have just realeased a nice looking version of thier f20 pedal - which I have been using (multiple sets) on all my bikes since release - no issues… think also if you look around online there maybe some good discounts on the older model plus colours!

Back