DiamondBacks-Let's see them...

jitensha":1jtagxwl said:
Here is mine. I use it every day and It's probably my favourite of all the ones I own. Apologies for the crap picture. I'm also constantly on the lookout for a '96 Apex/Axis with the snake stays if anyone has one they want to offload?
I'm pretty sure (since I have the brochure) that 96 was the exception year, in that era, where the Apex and Axis didn't share the same frame - in 96 the Apex used AVR tubing, in 94, 95 and 97 it used TT-Lite tubing like the steel Axis did (apart from the odd year where the US model steel Axis used different tubing - Ritchey Logic IIRC).

My old Sorrento BITD :oops: in 1990 to be exact in the black mountains , so many bads, big bike, big hair, tie dye tshirt, bermuda shorts, pop swatch and big off LA gear boots :roll:

& my bro on his 24er 88 tufftrax ;)

I've only had this wcf a few days.

One of the nicest bikes I've ever ridden.

12171113236_6f7cc6b5b1_b.jpg

12170707713_b64a82244e_b.jpg

It is a genuine pleasure to see all the Diamondback WCF (welded carbon fiber) bikes still being used. A little embarrassing for me though as I was the warranty manager for the importer when they were introduced. So convinced was I that they would fall apart I ordered twice the number of frames to cover warranty issues than normal. I dont remember any failing............

And a word of warning for Pyro Tim and Jango do not read what is writen below!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When Raleigh took over the distribution of Diamondback they did not want the stock of frames.

I am sorry to say this now but brand new unbuilt frames were smashed and skipped..........

WTF????? I got mine from Houston in 1999, and imported it in my hand luggage :LOL:

It is my go to bike. It rides like a dream, fast, nibble, responsive. I never liked Raleigh, now I f***ing hate them.

I knew they'd destroyed the marque, but didn't realise they destroyed the history too

Though I have never worked for Raleigh and have no reason to defend them I dont think you can blame them for
damaging the Diamondback brand. Remember they were only the UK distributor and they did not design the bikes.
I think they might claim they do now but back then they got what they were given. Diamondbacks owners changed
production of the top end bikes from Taiwan to main land China to save money. The quality went through the floor
and I was not sad that it was no longer my problem. The paint on the last Apex and Axis frames I saw looked like they
had been done with a rattle can, a real shame but as so often in the bike trade its all down to cutting costs.

From Wiki

In 1999, Diamondback Bicycles was purchased by the Derby Cycle Corporation, which also owned the Raleigh Bicycle Company, and merged Raleigh and Diamondback together.[8] In 2001, Derby Cycle Corporation sold Raleigh and Diamondback, and currently both brands continue to share the same owners.

Although I agree, by 97 they were starting to drop off quality from memory

More or less what I said, the owners of Daimondback who also owned Raleigh wanted to save money. No body sitting
in Nottingham decided to take the Daimondback brand down market........

Neil":2d0yg7zw said:
jitensha":2d0yg7zw said:
Here is mine. I use it every day and It's probably my favourite of all the ones I own. Apologies for the crap picture. I'm also constantly on the lookout for a '96 Apex/Axis with the snake stays if anyone has one they want to offload?
I'm pretty sure (since I have the brochure) that 96 was the exception year, in that era, where the Apex and Axis didn't share the same frame - in 96 the Apex used AVR tubing, in 94, 95 and 97 it used TT-Lite tubing like the steel Axis did (apart from the odd year where the US model steel Axis used different tubing - Ritchey Logic IIRC).

Thanks for the clarification. What I should have said was: I'm after anything Diamondback with TT lite tubing and snake stays. I had a '93 (I think) Ascent 18" BITD with the Altus A10 groupset. I can remember the first time I ever rode it. Everything felt so right instantly. Unfortunately I went though a bit of a drunken phase in the early 2000s and I can't remember where I left it.

jitensha":2nfu9pmi said:
Neil":2nfu9pmi said:
jitensha":2nfu9pmi said:
Thanks for the clarification. What I should have said was: I'm after anything Diamondback with TT lite tubing and snake stays. I had a '93 (I think) Ascent 18" BITD with the Altus A10 groupset. I can remember the first time I ever rode it. Everything felt so right instantly. Unfortunately I went though a bit of a drunken phase in the early 2000s and I can't remember where I left it.
Don't think Ascents ever had TT-Lite? Just probably AVR?

Don't know about post 97, though - but even then, I think it was just Apex (often) and Axis (steel - exceptions being the US version in 97, with Ritchey tubing).

Back